Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 Pro GOTO for astrophotography

Hi,

First of all I am new to the idea of astrophotography. I am interested in DSOs. After I pointed my camera to the sky and did some stacking I realised how BIG these objects are and jet how hard to find...

I have been kurking around this forum for a while and learnt that when it comes to the mount, size matters. So I have started with some financial calculations and came to the conclusion that the SW HEQ5 would be approaching the pain barrier but also the minimum requirement for AP. Yet looking at peoples signatures it appears that the NEQ6 is more popular.

Hence my question, how big is the difference between the two in terms of suitability for AP? My target scope would be a SW ED100 APO down the track (until I save the money) and to learn the ropes with a 5" Newtonian that I still have sitting around. Apparently it is not easy to align to the southern pole...

Thanks in advance

HJW

The HEQ5 Pro manages fine with my 200P (8"), with care, so would certainly manage with the small scope, and even the 5".

I don't know anything about PA in the southern hemisphere (yes it's not so easy) but I wondered if this would help:

http://www.ozscopes.com.au/How-to-Polar-Align-Equatorial-Mount-Southern-Hemisphere

Alexxx

The NEQ6 is used a lot simply because people get the EQ5 or HEQ5 then start adding items that they eventually get the NEQ6. After that anything bigger really needs a fixed pier and/or observatory. You can throw an EQ6 in a car and drive 20 miles to a dark location but the effort involverd makes it all very difficult, whereas putting the HEQ5 in and driving is not too bad.

Also many seem to be using "large" reflectors and with a 200P or 250P you really need the extra stability and weight of the NEQ6 as a large newtonian acts like a sail to any breeze.

The 5" mentioned should be OK on an HEQ5 and the 100ED the same, if you later go adding guide scope, guide camera, couple sets of rings, a finder or two and hang a DSLR off the end then you could be at the top end of weight for an HEQ5.

One other item to be aware of is that Skywatcher seem to be bringing out a new AZ-EQ5 in the next couple of months, so it may be worth being patient and waiting for that to appear. I do not know what the specification or cost of it is likely to be.

Meant to say, I understand that polar aligning in the southern hemisphere is somewhat more difficult, however you have some spectacular objects to observe, so sorry no sympathy. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Yep, ditto ronin. I have a lot of kit on mine and it seems to do OK with the 200P though: finder-guider, DSLR + coma corrector, RDF (it did alright with the Telrad too). But yes, it has to be in very quiet conditions. Only the gentlest of breezes and even then that's not optimal.

Thanks!

@ Astrosurf: I read the article in ozscopes however it is still confusing. I guess I need to play around a bit when the time comes. :smiley:

@ Ronin: "however you have some spectacular objects to observe, so sorry no sympathy." I know, that's how I started. I took a wide angle shot (Pentax K-30, 18-55mm) and noticed all the DSOs. Sagittarius is straight above at the moment. Since then I am hunting Messier objects.

Got some decent pictures (for my level) of the lagoon, the trifid (same frame) the omega and the eagle nebula. So now I'm keen to take it a step further...

Cheers

HJW

post-39098-0-22888400-1411480274_thumb.j

The HEQ5 has started out as many imagers workhorse, myself included. With a short focal length refractor it will happy do the business for you, especially if you have a guide camera, mine was chucking out 30 minute subs quite happily. Many folks then just upgrade for the larger payload as they realise that a couple of different focal length scopes are a nice to have! 

All good information. Thanks! The way I see it the HEQ5 will be sufficient. The SW ED100 tube is 3 kg, the camera 1, a guide scope (not even planned yet) might be another 3 so i should have plenty of wiggle room. It is also better for my conscience :smiley: .

I will take Ronin's hint and wait for the new mount to come out first.

Thanks again!

HJW

Archived