NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Star Adventurer

Chris,

I've had the Star Adventurer for a couple of months but have not had time to use it that much - wrong time of year!  However, first impressions are good. This is the first tracker I have had, so I have nothing to compare it with.  I have used it with a large diameter ball head with my DSLR + 70-300mm lens attached and it maintained perfect tracking over several minutes, and that was without spending too much time accurately polar aligning.  It has a nice, clear, illuminated polar finder and the alt/az wedge seems nice and precise.

The only thing I am not sure of at the moment is the fact that you do the polar align through the axis of rotation (obviously a good thing!) but this means you cannot align with the imaging equipment attached as it blocks the view. So, you have to be careful not to nudge the tripod as you attach the camera/scope, and it means that you have to have a good solid tripod to avoid flexing when you attach heavier kit, such as the combined OTA/camera and counterweight.

The whole thing is heavy and very solidly built, and one set of 4 AA batteries will last 72 hours.

I'll do a longer tracking test and post the results when I can.

Neil.

That was the reason I opted for the Skytracker. Looks like the construction quality of the SW offering is probably quite a bit better but I just couldn't get round the obscured polar scope thing.

I'm struggling with the weather at the moment too. New job means I am more or less restricted to Friday/Saturday evenings too so my chances of cloud-free sessions are greatly reduced.

Chris

The other good point about the Skywatcher is that if you get the Astrophotography package you end up with small EQ mount that will fit onto any tripod. With the various bits and pieces you can load a 5kg OTA with the counterweight. My Celestron 4se tube weighs 2.5 kg, so I can have that with my DSLR on the back with no problem. That's the next thing for me to try!

Neil.

• 1 year later...

You can easily get around the problem of the polar scope + using the red illuminated part that comes with it. I use two small pieces of blue tack to keep it in place. I don't need to remove the dovetail bar etc. Just align, get super anal about getting it aligned!! Then leave it taking subs until I pass out!

Archived