Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

OK, What have I missed.. some help with an awol RA needed

Sp@ce_d

I dunno its been one thing after the other... A lot of my kit seems to be going wrong or falling to bits on me lately... arghh.

OK, so I decided to swap out the Obsy PC from a Win 7 starter 32bit notebook to a Win 7 64bit i5 lappy. I think I've got all my configs moved over but I've obviously missed something because I think I'm only guiding in DEC. For the life of me I can't see where I've missed this. 4 hrs kip since Monday has taken its toll and I'm too tired to think straight any more.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or memory jogs on this... you'll notice from the screen grab the RA is taking a nosedive soon as guiding is enabled.. and the results of a 900s sub

thanks in advance.

post-11176-0-74225700-1410391159_thumb.p

Suspect this goes down to driver level.

Noticed some intermittent partial/corrupt downloads from any of the cameras ( Atik or SX, OAG or finder/guider config) at times with different software. wondering about 64bit compatibility & the dual usb2/3 ports on the different lappy.

I've got every thing running into the MountHubPro's USB ports so back to only one usb on the lappy. Tried different ports on the lappy too. so I think it's going to be back to basics to fault find this one...

Tried PHD2 for first time too... it broke.. probably cos of the above.

post-11176-0-69814400-1410432088_thumb.p

Does the mount move if you use the EQMOD pad?

Does it move if you use Maxim's Move commands?

I notice you use ASCOM Direct on Maxim for the Guider output. Do you get the same issue if you use Telescope and use the Observatory dialog to connect to EQMOD?

Does the mount move if you use the EQMOD pad?

Does it move if you use Maxim's Move commands?

I notice you use ASCOM Direct on Maxim for the Guider output. Do you get the same issue if you use Telescope and use the Observatory dialog to connect to EQMOD?

Had another play tonight.. checking connections & cleaning up com ports & drivers. Updated the notorious prolific driver for the EQDir too. Yes, it moves in EQMod pad.. forgot about Maxims move commands. Slews are fine, plate solving to centre target etc. Also, Maxim was happy to calibrate with a nice L shape. I also dug out an ST4 cable eventually, haven't used one for a long time so took a bit of finding. Didn't make any difference, however I connected to the guide relays. You're saying use the Telescope.. hmm.. I was looking that up in Maxims help earlier trying to decide which was the right choice.

I also connected it back to the old netbook to check (just needed to unplug the MountHubPro USB & swap over as everything I'm testing is through there) & definitely see both RA & DEC data in the EQMod Ascom PulseGuide Monitor window. However, I do still see trailing on a 2 or 3 min sub so something is out. I didn't have that before I moved PC's. So, on the old PC I see RA moving on pulseguide. However, still getting some trailing which I didn't have before I moved things around.

Might be more than one problem of course. Maybe a coincidental failure at the mount end. I wonder if something is slipping or worn out in the mount, I have been pushing it to the limits with the multishooters hanging off it.

Anyway, I've taken the scopes off the mount and I'll give it a check over then just put a single scope on the test with. Keep it simple.

Very frustrating, this setup had been working fine in the Obsy for nearly 3 years. I swap scopes around now and again and normally have more stuff connected than this. 3 CCD's, a finder guider and an OAG so I can take my pick without having to swap things about.

That was it for tonight..  the North Sea Haar's rolled in now so can't see a thing anyway.

Well, I went back to basics & just set up the GT81 with finder/guider using the old notebook.

It ran fine no issues. I then swapped over to the newer lappy, only the one USB cable to swap over as everything is via the MHPro.

Definitely a problem there. I'd been through drivers & updates last night to double check everything. Seems it just doesn't like the Atik drivers now. I've tried native & ASCOM versions all are intermittent & hang either Artimis Capture or MaximDL V5 & V6. This may be at a lower level ie. the USB drivers themselves so I've been & checked the latest are installed too. I'm wondering whether its a 64bit issue or an issue with the USB ports on the HP Laptop. They're a mix of 2 x USB 3, 1 x USB 2 & 1 x USB2/eSATA. I've tried all of them, same results. When I have got it to recognise the drivers it either hangs during image download or just does a partial image intermittently. I can rule out physical/dirty contacts on connections as it works fine swapping back over to the notebook (plus they've all been reseated).. in fact back on the notebook It's running well into the second hour of imaging & guiding on the Bubble at the moment so I'm actually pulling in some subs for the first time since last winter!!

Very frustrating, the notebook creaks when under full load so I need more computing bandwidth to run automation & the multiple imaging rig. I deliberately went for a win 7 setup over 8 for less hassle & 64bit to allow more memory address space. Typically the notebook's only running Win 7 starter!! :BangHead:

Hi

I can't help really but maybe it's an issue with the Mount Hub Pro? Might be worth dropping HitecAstro a line to see if they know of any hardware compatibility issues (I assume you have the latest version of their software).

Hope you can sort the problem

Louise

Actually Louise I'm glad you brought that up because I had been talking to David at Hitec a few weeks ago. With all the faffing about I'd totally forgotten that the reason I brought forward my plan to upgrade to a better spec pc.. was.. because I'd had an issue with the .NET framework & the MHP API on the notebook. I've been writing some VB scripts as part of my automation setup & had a problem with it recognising it. Although I can now get everything to work on the notebook via scripting apart from power on the 12v ports (they'll power off) & the functions through the GUI have always been fine. I do have the latest drivers from the website though might be worth checking with him again as they are 2012 ,but they do say 64bit. I fear it may be a problem at the OS/hardware level rather than vendor drivers though.. The Atiks & my Starlight Express all exhibited the same symptoms. The SX camera wasn't going via the MHP when I tested it either. :sad:  I'm going to bypass the MHP completely tomorrow & test it anyway. Right now I'm making the most of an unforecasted clear sky to get some badly needed subs to restore my sanity!

Hiiya

These sorts of issues can get very frustrating! It would be handy if you could borrow another 64bit system from somewhere. I do know that the Ascom platform and .Net framework have to be installed before any drivers or other software that depends on them. Good idea to bypass the MHP, that will likely tell you something too.

Please send some clear skies to Glasgow!

Louise

In order, I'd go through the following:

• Test the ports on the W7_64 laptop. Can they interface to high data rate devices. Can they do this while the laptop is under load?
  • Check the laptop's USB ports can provide the full quota of power.
  • Possibly place a powered USB2 hub between the laptop and the MHP - noise issues?
  • Disable any other software that could *conceivably* try to use a USB port
  • Tear down and reinstall the USB drivers on the laptop, repeat again from the top.

Is any of the software you're using 32 bit? Are 64bit versions available? Anything in the lappy's BIOS that could interfere with USB operation?

Archived