NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW 80ED ota weight?

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone knows the weight of the Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro ota? Considering it's used in imaging rigs so much, and payload weight is an obvious concern with imaging, I'm surprised that Skywatcher don't give the weight in their specificitaion - but there you go! I've searched, but can't find the info anywhere.

Thanks in anticipation

Tony

Thanks, Martin.

9kg seems a lot for the size of scope, but perhaps it's all that glass. I found some similar information, but it wasn't clear whether that product weight included the aluminium case.

Cheers

Tony

That quoted weight must include the box etc - mine weighs 2.5kg with rings and dovetail but no diagonal etc.

Thats on bathroom scales so not exact but it wont be more than 500 grams out +/-

Ah - Interesting! Thanks, Skipper Billy.

That sounds like a reasonable payload for an EQ5, even if I wanted to add the necessary extras for fully guided photography. 

With Skywatcher I think you have to look for the scope that matches the specification, in this case 80mm ED f/7.5. I think they sell under assorted names and I usually find it difficult to locate ED80 specifically, even on retailers sites. If you look at FLO there is Equinox, Esprit and Pro, not however ED80 as a specific model.

Hi Ant-33

Sorry I did not reply earlier as I have had a couple of busy days, the twice I have used the SW Startravel 80 as a guide scope have been really good, there have been plenty of stars to choose as the guide star and I have not needed to adjust the guide scope to find others. The guide camera I use is the QHY5ii and PHD. At first I could not get focus with the camera directly into the scope, however with the diagonal fitted I did manage to get focussed. Since then I have discovered that the lens of my 2x barlow can be removed and I plan to use this as the camera extension piece. So just remember that the focal point of the Startravel 80 is quite a way out from the tube end even with the focuser screwed fully out.

Dave

Hi Ant-33

Sorry I did not reply earlier as I have had a couple of busy days, the twice I have used the SW Startravel 80 as a guide scope have been really good, there have been plenty of stars to choose as the guide star and I have not needed to adjust the guide scope to find others. The guide camera I use is the QHY5ii and PHD. At first I could not get focus with the camera directly into the scope, however with the diagonal fitted I did manage to get focussed. Since then I have discovered that the lens of my 2x barlow can be removed and I plan to use this as the camera extension piece. So just remember that the focal point of the Startravel 80 is quite a way out from the tube end even with the focuser screwed fully out.

Dave

Thanks, Dave,

I don't think I'd be too worried if I needed to keep the diagonal fitted - it's a little more weight, and 90deg orientation for the camera, but apart from that, I'm not sure there's much of an issue. Sounds like it's a good choice.

Cheers

Tony

Archived