Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SynScan update problem!!!

Craigyboy3542

It's likely that this is a problem with the serial->USB interface (assuming you are using one).  Two options, try a computer with a "real" serial port, or slow down the speed.  The manual should explain how to get into low speed mode (from memory a little L will appear in the display), and communications should be slower but more reliable.

-simon

I last updated my SynScan handset last October so I'm rusty. I do know I used a USB to serial adapter from Maplin. It cost about £15 I think. Not a cheap one.

It worked flawlessly on my first attempt.

I wonder, have you successfully updated the firmware previously or is this a first?

If you have done it before is anything different this time? New computer perhaps?

I last updated my SynScan handset last October so I'm rusty. I do know I used a USB to serial adapter from Maplin. It cost about £15 I think. Not a cheap one.

It worked flawlessly on my first attempt.

I wonder, have you successfully updated the firmware previously or is this a first?

If you have done it before is anything different this time? New computer perhaps?

This is the first time, i have a feeling the USB adapter might be the problem as i did but the mount second hand. :( 

This is the first time, i have a feeling the USB adapter might be the problem as i did but the mount second hand. :(

My advice would be try a different USB adapter.

Did you download the help files when you downloaded the firmware file? In particular I'm thinking about the instructions here: http://ca.skywatcher.com/_english/05_service/01_download.php . On first reading I thought the instructions were a bit complicated so I read them over and over until I'd got it clear what to do in which order.

Having said that, you do seem to be making a connection as it indicates the process has started.

I see there is a PC SynScan application there also. Not sure when it's needed. I just ran it and it seems to detect which com port SynScan is connected to. Have you tried that?

Hi Craig,

What software version did your handset have installed before you started?

if it was less than v 3.0 then it is not upgradeable.

Have you got the serial lead connected to the CENTRE port on the bottom of the handset?

Have you got the power connected directly to the handset (not connected to mount)

My advice would be try a different USB adapter.

Did you download the help files when you downloaded the firmware file? In particular I'm thinking about the instructions here: http://ca.skywatcher.com/_english/05_service/01_download.php . On first reading I thought the instructions were a bit complicated so I read them over and over until I'd got it clear what to do in which order.

Having said that, you do seem to be making a connection as it indicates the process has started.

I see there is a PC SynScan application there also. Not sure when it's needed. I just ran it and it seems to detect which com port SynScan is connected to. Have you tried that?

Hi Craig,

What software version did your handset have installed before you started?

if it was less than v 3.0 then it is not upgradeable.

Have you got the serial lead connected to the CENTRE port on the bottom of the handset?

Have you got the power connected directly to the handset (not connected to mount)

Hi Paul

Yes i did, i do think it is the Adapter as that has stopped working all together now :( 

Hi Sandy 

Yes to all your questions also :) not sure what version i had before and can't check it now as the Adapter isn't working but it was defo higher that 3.0 :) 

My suggestions:

1. Is there someone computer minded who can have a go for you?

2. Do you have a local astro group who will have a member who has a working usb-serial converter?

3. Bite the bullet and but a new converter...

4. Ask FLO (or someone else) if you post them your handset if they will try and update the firmware for you.

I hope you get it sorted soon.

James

Archived