NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

the curse of diy... serrurier truss and big dob

Dave_D

decided to hold off starting brazing till this heat goes... my 'workshop' is a 6' x 6' utility room and in this heat with a blowtorch, no thank you ma'am

just need to clean the ends off so the joints sit a bit more flush.

c3a08c75-1363-44f0-baa0-ec6493d881db_zps

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

is annoyed/frustrated/fed up/in the dumps/peeved at other people/...

seems my blowtorch just doesn't cut it for heating 10swg ali tube sufficiently to braze it... 

came real close to scrapping the whole thing and selling my scope a couple of days ago...  :sad:

Don't give up Dave

The work you have done so far looks to be a really high standard and we are all following this thread with great interest

A couple of glasses of wine perhaps to make the blues go away

:)

Gareth

Ok... now i've stopped feeling sorry for myself at the injustices of the world, back on track. found out that a lot of the issues i've been having are due to my 'engineers square' not actually being square lol. the damn thing is out by about 3 degrees.... so a new one is on the way.

aaaaaanyway, i've fashioned 4 brackets to fit over the corners of the centre box which i'll be rivetting in place as soon as i (can be bothered) get access to a pillar drill, 5mm rivets should do the trick, which will keep the box square till i sort out the brazing problem.

You can hire a mini oxy acetylene rig for more / quicker heat, the quicker it's up to temp the less heat spread.

Dave

true that... i'm trying to find anyone local with the kit.

anyway, new quality engineers square arrived and confirmed that not only was my old square 3 degrees out, but my mitre saw is a degree out too. a quick mod to the saw and a very fine trim to the ali tubes and...

IMG_20150725_132919_zpslh4seflj.jpg

can't get much better than that methinks. i can now happily rivet the four corner reinforcing brackets in place.

centre box finally riveted up. time to make the four truss brackets which sit in the inside corners of the box. then, brazing along all the joining edges will make it a tad more rigid than just along the 45 degree cuts. my brother says he knows a guy with heavy duty brazing kit so i'll slip him a 'few quid' for the use of...

IMG_20150728_210806_zpscd9apcxl.jpg

Archived