NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Upgrade : )

Just two days ago I upgraged my Skywatcher 130P newt for the 200P newt with EQ5 mount, very excited to see this difference. I think I have the EQ5 set up fine, although it is a fair bit more complex than the EQ2.My hope is that many of those faint fuzzies will be a little clearer and views of the planets significantly more impressive. I will no doubt be writing an update soon!

I hope I do the the difference, I know my bank account noticed! Can't wait till some planets are riding high again. Also interesting point with the finder scope, not sure whether to chicken out and keep my red dot, or spend some time mastering the finder scope..

Get a Telrad, download Stellarium (it has Telrad circles) , and the free Telrad Maps, the faint DSO's won't stand a chance.. :)

I'd agree with that!  As my eyes get older, and their night sensitivity certainly doesn't get any better, I find I need all the "finding" ability I can get.  So for me, it's a tetrad to get me close, then a finderscope to get bang on the target.  If you have a red-dot already, then maybe try it together with the finder.  Depending on the size/brightness of the target, I reckon it's really handy to have more than one finding aid…  Provided they're all correctly aligned, of course!

Enjoy your new scope - sounds an excellent move.

Cheers

Simon    

Cheers folks, I do have stellarium but you have introduced me to the idea of a telrad. Sounds good, will def keep the first finderscope also. Might be able get some first light tonight. Though about trying Neptune as its well positioned but think it might be below my tree line in the garden. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks all. Don't stop looking up!

Archived