Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Has anybody got or used one of these

rowan46

http://www.365astronomy.com/365astronomy-deluxe-aspheric-zoom-eyepiece-824mm-125-and-2-compatible-p-3991.html

I have seen these a fair bit cheaper on other websites and wondered if they are any good? I quite fancy a nice zoom. i know there is the baader  but on the site I have seen them these are quite a bit cheaper and if they are as or good better i am not averse to saving some money.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm going to take a punt here and say that I reckon that could well have the same optics as the Baader 8-24 zoom in it. Celestron have recently released another line of eyepieces which seem to be the same optically as the Baader Hyperions so there might be a pattern developing here.

Rowan, I don't understand. You have (almost) three wonderful eyepieces the zoom's 8 to 24mm range.

In practice, I think a zoom like this will be used most in the 8-16mm range, as the apparent field of view becomes unpleasantly narrow toward 24mm. And in the 8-16mm range the zoom will have to compete with your near-unbeatable 12 and 7mm eyepieces.

If I were you, I would opt for a fixed focus 9mm and / or 16mm eyepiece to complement what you already have.

Yes, that was my first thought: Who else has these and for how much?

I'd want to see an objective review before dropping coins for this - or any EP for that matter. Besides, in my case, I only use a zoom for an EP for my Grab & Go scope when I do public-outreach with my ST80 F/5. I can't justify upgrading my Vixen 8mm - 24mm zoom to one that costs more than the scope. It looks nice - that much is certain.

Clear Skies,

Dave

I'm going to take a punt here and say that I reckon that could well have the same optics as the Baader 8-24 zoom in it. Celestron have recently released another line of eyepieces which seem to be the same optically as the Baader Hyperions so there might be a pattern developing here.

Not sure this is correct. The Hyperion has a wider FOV (68-50 deg vs 66-43 deg) and shorter eye relief (12-15 vs 15-20mm). This sound more like a tweak or repackaging of other, older 8-24mm EPs (like the old Vixen)

Not sure this is correct. The Hyperion has a wider FOV (68-50 deg vs 66-43 deg) and shorter eye relief (12-15 vs 15-20mm). This sound more like a tweak or repackaging of other, older 8-24mm EPs (like the old Vixen)

The Hyperions real AFoV was independantly tested not long ago and it's someway off the claimed specs Michael. After seeing the differences myself recently when I owned one I'd take all these specs with a decently sized "pinch of salt" :smiley:

The actual AFoV's, recorded using drift timing, for the Hyperion 8-24 Mk III zoom vary between 42 and 70 degrees. One or two vendors in the USA are now stating this in the specs. The eye relief was found to differ from the published figures as well with an actual range of 8.3mm to 12.9mm.

That means the eye relief is further still from the stated ER of the Celestron. The Celestron looks like the old Vixen in terms of (stated) ER specs. The stated specs could be even further wrong, of course

With the exception of Tele Vue and Pentax, I've learned not to believe all thats claimed in manufacturer specs.

I think the clue may be in the weight. The Vixen/ Tele Vue zooms are about half that, so possibly an older mark 1 or 11 dressed up in a different suit. Also the £140 seller is giving a 2 year warranty which is a consideration with any zoom _ lots of moving parts that may go wrong further down the line

Archived