Comet Jacques Mamiya 200mm

Ive not taken really any sort of astro image in almost a year, was great just to get out even only for a few hours and find my way around my kit

and software.

I viewed this comet in binos the night before and wanted to image it before it faded,  so too a quick set of images through my Mamiya 200mm lens , IDAS filter, SXV694 on the EQ8.

Ive pulled the curve a few times to see whats hiding - looks like a faint ion tail.

Was great to get out under the stars again, the EQ8 was guiding like a dream..  very happy despite the clouds

Comet3 web.tif

Nice link. It is my understanding of imaging comets to do the following:

Comet and stars stacking : "star freeze effect"

The comet position is used.

A first stack is created to extract the comet from the background.

Then a second stack is created to freeze the star (the comet is subtracted from each calibrated and registered light frame before stacking it).

Last, the final image is obtained by inserting the comet back in the image.

A composite of the comet and the background. In the same way (i'm thinking), you image M42 in one stack then image the core in another and combine.

Archived