NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

new telescope as a gift

Hi everyone,

I previously bought a dobsonian telescope for my other half a few years ago (Sky Watcher Heritage 130p) based on a couple of recommendations from this forum.

Her birthday is coming up and I have promised her an upgrade for a while.

I think the Dobsonian 200p would be perfect for her, although the dobsonian she has suits her needs she finds it difficult due to its low base to the ground and has said she would like a more tradional style scope that has a tripod.

I come to you again for advice as I have no idea with what is a good reflector/refractor telescope. My price range is £300, maybe a little more if it is worth the extra.

She generally loves looking at the moon and planets but I think she would like to look at stars more which her current telescope doesn't really allow for so looking for a general all rounder.

If anyone could provide me with their thoughts, reviews if they own the telescope etc it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

John

Hi John, I think the Skyliner 200P dob would be perfect for her, easy to use and the eyepiece at a reasonable height, although a observing stool would be useful for those low down objects, and within your £300 budget too, a lot of scope for a little money. Located here: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

The 200p will stand higher than the 130p. Its the most recommended scope here.

With the dob being chest height you can use a chair, stand or raise it.

I am going from 130 (Celestron 130EQ) to 200mm (Orion XT8G) soon also, it just needs to be shipped to me now.

I also have to agree, the logical step up with regard to telescopes is the 8" F5.

There is this - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200p-eq5.html - its an 8" scope on an EQ5 mount, but it IS over budget @ £415

You can add drives later if you wished, or even add GOTO later if you wanted.

Failing that then the 200P Dob is what I'd suggest too.

Ant

Cheers guys @Supernova the Skywatcher Explorer 200p was one that I was considering this morning, but as it is over £100 over the budget I would like to know if it would be better than the Dobsonian or would it provide the same in terms of viewing?

Also Supernova, I have just come across another post that you replied to that shows your dobsonian, on a equatorial mount, where would I find one of these? and how much?

I am thinking the dobsonian would be the better purchase with getting the equatorial mount in the future.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

If she is just visual a dob is a very good choice as you get most 'bang for buck'.  They are also the smallest and lightest to set up, a big consideration if you have to lift a heavy scope on to the mount.  You could go for a motorised dob, but Skywatcher dropped the Syntrek dobs and now only do GOTO which is outside your budget.  The advantage of a motorised mount is that once you have found your object, it will track.  The advantage of GOTO is that it will [help you] find your object.

An EQ5 is a good mount and would be capable of tracking objects with better precision than a dob and as you say you could always add one later, you would just need some scope rings and a dovetail to mount the 200P on an EQ5.

Best of luck.

Robin

They are the same tubes just on different mounts. The increase is for the mount so it is easier to track objects in the sky and can be motorised to do so in the future. Fine tuning cables will be used to contract the rotation if you don't have a motor.

Cheers guys, I will probably get her the Dob as I think that is the best value for money wise.

On another note though im a keen photographer so I might start getting into astrophotography eventually to try and help her with hers.

What equipment would be required for astrophotography with either skywatcher explorer or the dob.

Cheers

It is all about the mount for imaging.

But you could buid a barn door tracker.

My thought was evostar 90 on eq 2-3 as you could use mount with camera and fit motors and your wife might enjoy the different expience the eq and refractor gives.

Just got the 200p dob myself as an upgrade from the 130 on eq2 mount. Got to say it is head and shoulder above my old scope. So much easier to set up the mount is really easy to use more intuitive than an equatorial ans the difference in views is astounding.

Colour in the ring nebula, cloud bands on saturn and easy seperation of some double stars I wasn't confident of attempting last time, she'll love it mAte.

Also Supernova, I have just come across another post that you replied to that shows your dobsonian, on a equatorial mount, where would I find one of these? and how much?

I am thinking the dobsonian would be the better purchase with getting the equatorial mount in the future.

Cheers

John

Hi John, the dobsonian is more intuitive to use in my opinion.  EQ (equitorial mounts) are not easy to use at first and take a bit of getting used to, although it is my preference.  The dobsonian version has a slightly longer focal length at f/5.91 (1200mm) instead of f/5 (1000mm) for the EQ5 mounted version, which will make it a bit easier on eyepieces and therefore possibly cheaper to equip and use.  The other thing is, how agile is your partner and yourself, I think the EQ5 version is harder to 'manhandle' what with the counterweights and the heavy duty tripod and mount etc. I am slightly disabled and my wife has to do everything for me such as carrying and so on (we are in our 60's).

If you want to make the 130 more user-friendly then put it on a mount.  The AZ4 is a good choice for someone who is used to using a Dob.

For purely visual use, a 200 Dob is a huge step up in performance.  For imaging you will need an EQ mount and that will blow your budget twice over, so I would get a big Dob for now and it can always be EQ mounted in the future is her inclination moves towards imaging.

Alternatively you might find a 200P/EQ5 second-hand within your budget.  I love mine, but with the tripod, mount, counterweights and OTA it's a lot of kit to move around.

Archived