Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First mosaic :) - Cygnus loop

RikM

I'm not sure how the sketch will upload, since I scanned and inverted it on my work PC, which is woefully uncalibrated, but we'll see.

I have been building up to attempting this and last night was just about perfect. Nice and clear and fairly transparent with Cygnus more or less at the zenith. I wanted to get a move on because the moon was due up to spoil the party but it was clouds that got the better of things in the end. This means I haven't plotted in all the little field stars as i normally would. I used a mix of the 28mm and my 20mm XW to get a bit more detail. All in, it took about 45 min. This is 2B and 6B pencil on paper with a blending stump for the SNR. The circles are about 90mm dia, I drew it landscape on an A4 Daler-Rowney heavyweight sketch pad.

post-5915-0-13616600-1408366307_thumb.jp

First time I've seen something like this Rik, it look challenging to say the least but I think you can safely say that you nailed it!  :icon_salut:

Trying to plot all those faint stars in the Milky Way is endless isn't it? I don't usually bother with the fainter stars and just plot the brighter ones, just enough to be able to look at the sketch later and be able to figure out the orientation.

So whats next Rik? NA neb??  :eek:  :)

So whats next Rik? NA neb??  :eek:  :)

The crescent probably Mike but we'll have to see. I do like to do these, you really pull the detail out if you take the time to really look. At some point I'm going to have to give the double cluster a go but that's going to take ages :eek:

I've got the NA neb on my 'to do' list for RASC Finest NGC's but being Cornish I'm too tight to buy a pair of 15x70 binos just for one sketch so when (if) I'm brave enough to attempt it I may try and do a mosaic like yours.

The Crescent should be interesting though a tricky objects for you from home maybe?

Yes, it's not easy. I fancy doing a home + LP version and then a trip out somewhere dark to see what the difference is.

I've been thinking of something similar for a while but sketch with my 10" at a dark site and do the same object with my 16" from home...I reckon the 10" will show more! :)

Theres a few of us heading to Exmoor next weekend for some dark skies if you fancy it Rik?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived