Sun 2- Dave 0

Davey-T

Had my second disastrous attempt at a mosaic of the Sun the other day, once again ended up with two dodgy sections. one wouldn't stack nicely at all and the other seems to have stacked in two different locations.

I've watched the videos (1500 frames ) through and they don't look any worse than the ones that stacked OK except for some clouds drifting over, completely obscuring them a couple of times.

Run them through PIP and Autostakkert and I thought one or other or both were supposed to reject bad frames, set a limit somewhere to stack only fifty frames but didn't make any difference to the finished pic.

Absolutely no processing at all just converted to TIFF and photomerged in PS.

Probably something I'm doing wrong but no clue what. :)

Apologies for the dust spots, haven't figured out Solar flats yet

Dave

post-21198-0-63761000-1407959871_thumb.j

A super bottom half :) :) :)

Clouds are a no no, I find even the slightest wiff of them and they won't stack. I keep the finger on the button ready to terminate the shoot if they start ;) or go into Registax and turn off all the frames that contain a cloud then stack, it is the only way to salvage this.

Alexandra

If I have AVIs like that with clouded out moments , or parts where a gust of wind has made the image jump around briefly I do a quick edit using "VirtualDub" to remove the offending sections.

Another thing that might be causing this is poor tracking , if the target spot drifts slowly and gently across the chip during capture it probably looks OK at first glance , but after PIPP  has reordered the frames by Quality the gently drifting spot becomes a nightmarish jittering feature that AS!2 will have a real job tracking/aligning.

Thanks guys, and girls, will try to manually edit the videos and bin rubbish frames, as I haven't disturbed the scope / camera since taking this is it still possible to take usable flats if I can resurrect the offending vid's ?

Dave

You're heading towards the black arts there , something I need to sort for my close-ups as there's a bright patch on those , but I've not figured a way of shooting them via the wedge set-up yet without disturbing the train and making them un-matched.

I find that Autostakkert doesn't like cloud at all, ditto for Reg 6. If AS! fails I try Reg5 and deselect the worst of the frames, then put one box over the main sunspot group. Reg5 usually gives something without all the fractals and produces a half way reasonable image, even with some cloud.

Otherwise, you just have to crop the best of the two and be happy. I would certainly be happy with the bottom half.

Robin

Archived