Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Junk shop find ( ww2 ross 7x50)

Lux1

I recently found these old ross bino prism 7 x 50 for £3 in a junk shop. They've been repainted, I'm carefully trying to pick the paint out of the inscriptions. The right hand side incorporates a scale for military sighting. They are very clear and give excellent views.

post-7543-0-44226900-1407949839_thumb.jp

post-7543-0-37343300-1407949866_thumb.jp

I saw some optics recently at a market stall, don't recall their brand, but they were just too grubby and a chipped objective,  to even contemplate any restoration, but I keep looking? You only paid £3. Even if  the binoculars endup as a  paper weight, that's a very good find.  There's a little history about Andrew Ross here, if you've not already checked. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_(optics)

Thanks for the replies. These binoculars perform very well, I've stripped them down, cleaned the prisms and oculars and reassembled. The less common but more sort after Barr and Stroud CF 41 is considered a gem for astronomical use. This is also very good, the wide offset prisms constructed in one piece allow for an excellent 3d image with decent light transmission. Whilst un coated, they are are a joy to use. The recticule in the r/h side is a pain in daytime use, but under the stars is not noticeable.

I had an enjoyable view of m31 in these in less than favourable conditions. The fact that they have also seen use in ww2 in coast watch and anti-aircraft duties, adds to their charm. They come apart very easily for servicing and cleaning. A must for any optic used in military operations. I'll post some photos.....

Archived