NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First scope

billydean

Look how quickly aperture 'fever' sets in! Within your current budget, the 150p Dobsonian would my personal choice but if you can save a little longer, the 200p Dobsonian would be well worth waiting for as aperture is long for observing use.

Look how easily we are spending your money!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

200p has 77% more light gathering capability than the 150p. But j had a great 3 years with a 130p so aperture isn't everything. I have the 200p, not the DOB but I certainly wouldn't fancy lugging it up a hill. Also, is that photo pontneddvechan?? Apologies for horrendous spelling.

Hi!

I am in the same position, literally! I am in Cardiff and noticed you said you were in the Welsh valleys. I am also looking to buy my first scope. I would mostly be using in Cardiff, but would also occasionally be driving up Caerphilly Mountain and, to where I assume you plan on going, the dark skies area of the Brecon Beacons.

I have been looking at the Skywatcher Evostar 90 and started my own thread in the Getting Started forum for advice, so I won't hijack yours :)

Archived