Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Silly question here please help!!!!!!

Hi all. I am trying to polar align my new EQ3-2 Pro synscan. When I try align the polarscope fine altho i dont understand if I should align the big dipper on it aswell ? This question will probably make alot of eyes roll but im finding that when I align the mount and then do a 1, 2, and 3 star alignment it is way off.

Firstly, get your mount as level and you can. For visual purposes just get Polaris in the middle of theolarscope circle.

For a bit more fun, try the Kochab clock,

http://www.arksky.org/Kochab.htm

This'll hold tracking very well.

Ensure that for alignment that all your times/date/Bst/location have been entered correctly. 2 star alignment is adequate for visual use,

Nick.

The asterisms etched onto the polarscope are there as a guide to where Polaris is orientated in the scope. Stand behind the mount and observe where Ursa Major and Cassiopeia are in the sky. Unlock the RA clutch and look through the polarscope and rotate the mount in the RA axis until the two asterisms are in the same orientation as the constellations in the sky. Lock the RA clutch and then adjust the azimuth and latitude bolts until Polaris falls into the small circle in the scope. The mount should now be polar aligned.

Archived