hello, question about setup 'MAK 127' from absolute beginner

Hello to everyone!

first of all BIG respect for all you and this wonderful site! 

I really think that this is great hobby and as a nervous newcomer who just bought a scope I would truly appreciate your help and advice!

Beforehand I want to apologize if someone's bored or annoyed with my post (question).

Not my intention at all, just want to get a friendly advice and start the hobby with observing the Moon.

I bought MAK 127 of ebay uk with the following specs:

*diameter: 127mm

*focal lenght 1500mm

and the following optic pieces included:

6x30 finderscope

90 deegree 1.25" mirror diagonal 

25mm & 10mm 1.25" eyepieces

2x barlow

there is also a moon filter, 

I made photos of the equipment

post-37433-0-16007100-1407787931_thumb.j

post-37433-0-55914500-1407787932.jpg

post-37433-0-43760300-1407787933.jpg

post-37433-0-12545800-1407787935.jpg

My question is how should I set up the optic pieces in order to observe the Moon,

What's the sequence of arranging them, I put the mirror diagonal, but after...?

I see a circle when I look throught that mirror, but don't know how to finish the setup.

Thank you very much in advance for your response!

Cheers

Todor 

As Paul said.

I would start with the 25mm eyepiece. That is you lowest power.

Find the moon and focus, and you will be treated to some lovely views. Then you can get close ups using the 10mm eyepiece.

Enjoy.

Ant

Start with the Super 25 eyepiece. Remove all the caps and fit the shiny barrel Into the diagonal and tighten the thumb screws gently to hold it in place. You focus it by turning the black plastic knob on the back of the telescope.

The 25mm gives you the lowest magnification and widest field of view. When you find the moon or other object to look at, you can change to the 10mm for higher magnification. Probably with these eyepieces you will not need the 2x Barlow. This is used in between the mirror diagonal and the eyepiece to double the magnification. It could be that the 25mm +2x Barlow is quite nice but the 10mm + 2x Barlow will probably be too high magnification will look fuzzy and dark.

You guys are great! Thank you all very much for the super fast response!

As you advised I saw it with 25mm eyepiece, it wasn't that easy to locate it with manual tracking but I was probably lucky...

Otherwise I have to use autotracking or then i need to set my coordinates??

Does 25mm gives me 1500/25 = 60 magnification

What you suggest to use next

Thousand thanks!!!

I wouldn't use the barlow, it will make the scope too slow @ f24.

A good moon filter helps as it takes the edge off of how bright the moon is through a telescope, this will allow you to see more detail.

Nebula, thank you for the cool idea! I tried and the contrast is better using the filter.

so you don't suggest that i use barlow, probably will try 10mm now...

thanks mate!

A dew shield will help prolong your viewing time, this can be done on the cheap with a rolled up camping mat, a black one is best.

A rigel will help with setting up your scope as you will be able to find stars quicker than with the 6x30 finder, I found the telrad too large for the scope.

The smallest ep I use for planets is 9mm, as it gives good viewing on most nights @ 167x, as I find that any vibration in the mount ruins the view when using higher magnification than this.

As daft as it sounds a peg used as a lever on the focuser helps with fine tuning.

But most of all have fun :)

Добър вечер Todor_K и добре дошли на SGL.

Hello to everyone!

first of all BIG respect for all you and this wonderful site! 

I really think that this is great hobby and as a nervous newcomer who just bought a scope I would truly appreciate your help and advice!

Beforehand I want to apologize if someone's bored or annoyed with my post (question).

Not my intention at all, just want to get a friendly advice and start the hobby with observing the Moon.

I bought MAK 127 of ebay uk with the following specs:

*diameter: 127mm

*focal lenght 1500mm

and the following optic pieces included:

6x30 finderscope

90 deegree 1.25" mirror diagonal 

25mm & 10mm 1.25" eyepieces

2x barlow

there is also a moon filter, 

I made photos of the equipment

attachicon.gifP1100528.jpg

attachicon.gifP1100529.jpg

attachicon.gifP1100530.jpg

attachicon.gifP1100533.jpg

My question is how should I set up the optic pieces in order to observe the Moon,

What's the sequence of arranging them, I put the mirror diagonal, but after...?

I see a circle when I look throught that mirror, but don't know how to finish the setup.

Thank you very much in advance for your response!

Cheers

Todor 

Hi Todor,welcome th SGL,you have it right,you just put one of the eyepieces into the diagional.

If using the barlow that goes between the diagional and the eyepiece.

I asked the same/similar question a few months ago about the positioning of a Barlow, either before of after the Star Diagonal in a catadioptric. I read somewhere several years ago that it is OK if you place a Barlow before the Star Diagonal in a refractor.

Slightly off topic... It was fifteen years today that I first visited your beautiful country, (Bulgaria/България), to witness the most beautiful of natures wonders... a solar eclipse. I stayed at a 3-star hotel in Varna/Варна and observed the eclipse from Krapets/Крапец with a group of from Reading Astronomical Society - www.readingastro.org.uk/

Clear skies,

Philip

Hey Clan_Mac-JaffaCakes Добър вечер :) ,

I'm really glad for your come up in conversation!

Thank you for the very kind words, buddy!

I recall very good the Total Solar Eclipse on August 11, 1999, I was only 14 though :)

Being at countryside here in Bulgaria, with my brother and seeing this once-in-a-lifetime phenomenon through...smoky glass :) it was unforgettable

I remember them saying that the eclipse then were best observed from south Eastern Europe (especially Bulgaria and Romania) and so many people were on the Black Sea seaside... And it makes me happier you were there too :)

And what a coincidence (or not at all) that this was exactly before 15 years...:)

And on that date now I'm starring for first time at sky via scope...:) I just realised it after reading your post and reminded me that we are August 11...actually from 2 hours here is already Aug 12  :) No, it's rather karma than lucky coincidence:)

I'm sure you have great memories from that phenomenon here! Where are you now...?

Cheers

Tod 

IMO the barlow shouldn't go between the scope and diagonal.

Scope - diagonal - Barlow - eyepiece

Depending on the design of the Barlow, increasing / decreasing the distance between it and the EP, increases or decreases it's effect.

Cheers

Ant

Thanks for your response Ant!

Yes, I tried the set up yesterday in that sequence scope-mirror-barlow-eyepiece.

The Barlow is x2, it increases the magnification of eyepiece twice, I suppose...??

As before adding the Barlow I was starring through 10mm eyepiece, which is 1500/10 = 150 magnification

and afterwards I used the Barlow+10 mm eyepiece it was zoomed twice...I believe it is 1500/(10/2) = 300 magnification

I'm new to this hobby, is it right explanation...?

Cheers

Todor

Yes that's right.

You can get 2x, 2.5x, 3x, 4x and 5x. And probably others that I've never come across. Most of them you can increase the effective multiplication by increasing the distance between Barlow and EP. Decrease the distance and the opposite happens.

I have a 2x 2" Barlow, if I unscrew the lense cell (be careful about doing that) part and attach it directly to the camera 2" adapter it works out at around 1.6x.

Generally lower power EPs are more comfortable to look through, this is called eye relief ( how close you have to have your eye to the end of the eyepiece). If your 10mm needs you to have your eye almost touching to view, then the 25mm and 2x Barlow will give a similar magnification but will be much nice to look through.

Like everything in this hobby, this is only a guide. Some makes and designs do different things.

Cheers

Ant

As daft as it sounds a peg used as a lever on the focuser helps with fine tuning.

I had not thought of that. I will try it !

Get an external power supply; AC/DC adaptor, auto jump starter etc. Gotos each batteries and as power reduces the goto plays up. As already stated a dew shield is essential; make your own not just for cost but because you can then have a decent length, mine is the same length at the OTA. You may find the 10mm EP poor so think about replacing it, for lunar viewing I suggest BST 8mm, 12mm and 15mm.

hi todor, i have attached a spread sheet that will help you calculate your mags with your barlow and EP's. i have left the values of my EP's in as an example, ( i also have  a 127mm, 1500mm focal length ota). you can just replace the figures with your own. as a note the values (magnifications) in yellow are reaching the limit of my scope, and the red are no use with my scope. and you will be the same.

clear skies,

Bernie.

ScopeCalculator1.xls

Hi Bernie,

many thanks for your response and that excel file, there is very interesting data inside.

I'm newbie, not so familiar with all the terminology, but I understand some main relations.

Like the one that lower the 'magnification' is, the higher 'true field of view' is, pretty logical.

Are under 'eyepiece statistics' line in left all the EP that you're using with the telescope. 'with FTR' ...sounds interesting, do you know what FTR stands for...

which of these you like most for moon observing, your favourite..?  & which one gives you clearer & sharper moon image...?

Otherwise your scope specifications are the same as mine. 

I saw on the second xls page 'NexStar 11 GPS' but it's a different machine...with impressive details by the way :)

Cheers and clear skies,

Todor

which of these you like most for moon observing, your favourite..?  & which one gives you clearer & sharper moon image...?

I use 100x in twilight and although 188x is usually very good I find I use 125x the most due to both sharpness and FOV. On a lunar session I frequently swap between my 8mm and 12mm EPs.

hi Todor, i'm glad the excel doc helped you out. in regards to the best E.P for lunar viewing, your lowest E.P focal length suits best for both lunar and planetary in my opinion (yours being 10 mm, giving you x 225 mag).

FTR stands for Fine Tuning Ring. these are two separate rings, one measuring 14 mm, and the other 24 mm. they work with a brand of E.P known as Baader Hyperion. i have the 17 mm E.P.

i can attach either the 14 mm ring on its own, or the 24 mm ring. also you can attach both rings together to the E.P.

Doing so i effectively get 4 separate Focal lengths out of one E.P ranging from 17 mm, 13 mm, 10 mm and 9 mm. and with use of my x 2/ x 1.5 barlow i get a mag range from x 88 to beyond my mag limit of x 254.

it's (in my view a very versatile set, and hoping to pick up more E.P's from the same range, would give more versatility). 

i have attached a review from you tube.

clear skies,

Bernie.

Hi Bernie, many thanks for your response and the video!

These rings seem pretty useful and versatile as you said.

I liked also thаt there are threads on the one end which gives you the possibility to attach dslr & camera.

Great modular eyepiece!

Cheers

Archived