NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AZ EQ6GT +MacBook Pro

kerrylewis

I only have a desktop computer at the moment which is getting long in the tooth. I am planning to get a MacBook and use it with the mount. Does anyone have this combination and, if so, which software do you use and what is required to connect the two?

Long term I would like to use the Lodestar Live app as developed by Paul (an SGL member) together with a Lodestar camera. Has anyone used this remotely ie from indoors? How do you connect the camera and the mount control to the MacBook?

Thanks in advance for any help - totally green in this area

Kerry

• 3 weeks later...

As a fellow MacBook user, I am in the process of hooking it up to my HEQ5, which I would imagine is the same as hooking up to your mount. I have had success with EQMac (http://eqmac.hulse.id.au/) and also I can use Stellarium to connect to the mount via the handset quite easily. I have also bought a usb->mount cable for the direct connection to the mount and while I haven't got it working yet, I know it is possible. I you ask questions about Mac stuff on the Software forum, there are some extremely dedicated Mac programmers on there who are working wonders in getting Macs up to the level that Windows users are at. Also, some of the capture apps such as Nebulosity have been compiled for OSX as well, although as a humble DSLR man, I haven't used them yet.

Kerrylewis - I am in the process of doing the same. But I haven't tested it all yet.

My strategy is to install Parallels on my newly acquired MacBook Pro. With this I can run all my existing windows software which includes: BackYard EOS, PHD software, Deep Sky Stacker and Photoshop.

I don't control my AZ EQ6 mount from my laptop anyway. I use the hand controller. But I am thinking of doing so. Although I'd probably do it from my iPad. There's some software and kit produced by Southern Stars called Skyfi http://www.southernstars.com/products/skyfi/ which allows you to control a mount wirelessly or by wire from an ipad/iPhone and a mac (I believe). Haven't looked at that in detail.

So far I've got Parallels up and running on my MacBook along with BackYard EOS and Photoshop. I have yet to install and test the Software to drive my guide camera and PHD software. That's next week hopefully.

Hello both

I've only had the MacBook for a couple of weeks but getting some success. I've used eqmac on its own and with Sky Safari. The star map with eqmac is a bit rudimentary so I prefer linking it to the other software. I like the maps and data in Equinox but mixed success with that so far. I want to test out the connection to the mount both via the handset and direct with each of the planetarium apps that I have, and also with and without eqmac, and see which gives the best results. A rainy afternoon indoors for that I think.

I've only tried the control under clear skies once, and the difficulty I then found was how to sync to refine the pointing accuracy. The mount was pointing in roughly the right place but obviously not spot on.

At the moment I'm resisting the Parallels approach and sticking with software that is supposed to work directly.

I also have a Lodestar camera on order - the next step.

The ultimate aim is to control the mount from indoors whilst using Lodestar Live - it's fun trying anyway!

Kerry

There seem to be lots of ways to crack this nut! Good luck anyway.

I like the look of Skyfi. http://www.southernstars.com/products/skyfi/ for controlling the mount. I have Sky Safari, which I really like, on the iPad. I also like the idea of being able to walk about outside near the scope with the iPad, which would make setting up easier I imagine. But the macbook will stay safely on a table in my "warm room" aka the shed.

Although I haven't purchased it I did research into SkyFi and it seems to be perfect for Mac control. I did buy SkySafari pro for the iPad as it was half price recently. I can recommend that. I also run my SLX Lodestar remotely from my Mac using PHD2.

I was put off the skyfi and ipad approach because apparently there are issues with it connecting to my particular mount. There is a thread or threads on here somewhere. The AZ Eq6gt is awaiting a firmware upgrade which is now well overdue and, in the absence of that I thought it was best to avoid that route. Not sure about the HEQ5 though - worth checking

Kerry

The problem with using SkyFi/SkySafari is not an issue with SkyFi/SkySafari, it is a problem with the AZ-EQ6 firmware. I can run my AZ-EQ6 with SkySafari on my iPad normally with no problem. However, the AZ-EQ6 firmware v3.35 has a number of quirks which can cause pointing errors. SkySafari just moves the mount using the information that the mount gives it. The problems I have encountered have been using the mount in AZ Mode. I am not sure if all the problems will occur in EQ Mode. I reported these issues over a year ago. I ran into another one about three months ago which Synta was able to reproduce and said a fix would be included in the next firmware release. They give no date for this update.

JohnD

Are you saying it's an intermittent problem? And when you see a pointing error, does the set up correct itself when you select the target again?

The pointing errors I encountered were repeatable which points at a firmware issue. There were instances where it was dependent upon from which direction I approached the object. It would work coming from one direction and not work coming from the opposite direction. But again, I could consistently repeat the error.

JohnD

Archived