NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Attempt at Narrowband with Hyperstar NGC6888

Ikonnikov

post-31-0-35406700-1406810882_thumb.png

My first attempt at a NB image, C8 hyperstar on HEQ5 with Baader 7nm Halpha filter and Atik 428EX, 5x15 mins, 7x10 mins. Not a very novel subject but it’s at a convenient place in the sky at the moment…

Subs were not very sharp despite careful focusing, I suspect poor seeing and slight haze were the main problem, no sign of focus drift between subs. PI deconvolution using a PSF generated with Dynamic PSF seemed to help a lot and I’m quite pleased with some of the finer details appearing in the nebula after subsequent processing (masked stretch, HDR transform, ACDNR and LHE). Was a bit worried about artefact generation in fine detail though it seem to correspond fairly well with other images I’ve found on the web.

I’ve not got the hyperstar collimation quite right with somewhat elongated stars in 2 corners so need to work on that, and brighter stars need some more masking to stop them turning into donuts. I’m considering trying out PI drizzle integration with more subs to see if I can squeeze some more resolution/detail out of this subject (only at a fairly coarse 2.22/pixel with this setup). Also have OIII filter now so hope to add that at some stage once I get the data.

Thanks for taking a look, any comments appreciated/welcome (especially on processing; do you think I have over-done it a bit?)!

Archived