Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Richmond and Kew Astronomical Society

dick_dangerous

Hi All,

I'm keen to get along to an astronomical society observing night, just to get a sneaky peek down some other telescopes if nothing else, but I don't appear to have one within convenient travelling distance from me - I live in Teddington but don't have a car.

I want to get along to a BSIA night but Regent's Park is a pain to get home from at night. West Ewell has a society but is similarly incovenient, as is Guildford AS - getting there would be fine but I don't relish a 1.5 - 2 hour trawl to get back home and Newland's Corner is out of the question, as is Ranmore Common. I do have a backpack set-up now at least, so can travel by train or by bus to places, it's the prospect of getting home again that would be worrying.

There is, or was, a Richmond and Kew Astronomical Society but I can't seem to find any up to date information about them. Obviously a society that meets in Richmond would be perfect and it seems a shame if there isn't one considering the number of astronomers in the area. I have toyed with the idea of setting one up in the "Dark Skies" of Bushy Park, but if one were already in existence then this would seem a pointless idea.

So, does Richmond and Kew Astronomical Society still exist? And how does someone go about setting up an observing group if it doesn't?

Many thanks,

DD

Hi DD,

We are just getting going with a group in Walton-on-Thames at the moment. Very early days but we have 10 members, mostly new starters but a couple of more experienced people. You are welcome to come along to meet us. We've not been very active in terms of observing as a group yet but that will change from September onwards.

PM me if you are interested

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi DD,

We are just getting going with a group in Walton-on-Thames at the moment. Very early days but we have 10 members, mostly new starters but a couple of more experienced people. You are welcome to come along to meet us. We've not been very active in terms of observing as a group yet but that will change from September onwards.

PM me if you are interested

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walton is more doable - 6 minutes by train from Surbiton and that's just a bus ride from me. Might well take you up on that!

There is one called West Of London: http://www.wolas.org.uk/home

There is Flamsted Group that appear to meet at greenwich, so I guess that is a much trouble as BSIA.

Something familiar about "Bushy Park" and an observing group.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'd check out WOLAS but they're up in Uxbridge which is a real pain from here! I've not encountered any observing groups in the park although there are one or two others around here that I've met either on nights observing or through the forum. For London it's a nice spot!

Many thanks for all help,

DD

Once the nights draw in a bit the Surrey SGL mob will be meeting at Ranmore common. If you fancy coming along one night give me a shout and I'll pick you up. You're not that far from me.

There's normally a pretty good spread of scopes to have a butchers through. :)

Or stick a post in the Surrey section when your heading to bushy park if I'm about I'll pop over. The Surrey section is for arranging meets anywhere in Surrey so feel free to post in there :)

Hopefully see you out there some time.

Once the nights draw in a bit the Surrey SGL mob will be meeting at Ranmore common. If you fancy coming along one night give me a shout and I'll pick you up. You're not that far from me.

There's normally a pretty good spread of scopes to have a butchers through. :)

Or stick a post in the Surrey section when your heading to bushy park if I'm about I'll pop over. The Surrey section is for arranging meets anywhere in Surrey so feel free to post in there :)

Hopefully see you out there some time.

Thanks! That's good to know. I keep toying with the idea of buying a car but I never quite see the point for everyday life in London. I thought of joining a car club but they're rubbish if you want to drive out of town. I'm hoping to get along to one of the Walton meets, but I'd jump at the chance to get out to Ranmore Common.

Thanks,

DD

• 3 weeks later...

Hi please let me know if you are starting one up in the Richmond area.I would be interested in coming, I'm sure there would be others interested in coming too. My school holds a GCSE astronomy course and I'm sure the students would be interested in coming.

• 3 weeks later...

RKAS is dead.... Properly!! Ewell is just off the X26 or 131 bus, so easy, guildford is quite easy, so is croydon... Haven't been to any for a while :-(

I did junk of setting one up locally, but didn't get round to anything. Depends what you are after, for observing then Ranmore or Albury Heath are used a lot... Though not for us non car users....

Swamp thing, how many seats has your wheels got.... I live a few mins walk from [removed word] so it might be possible to give us both a lift?!

Cheers

PeterW

Archived