NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice on 6inch dob vs 8inch

Hi all,

Recently got back into astronomy after about 2 years of no observing coz of exams ect...

I'm selling my current scope a skywatcher 130 eq2 as it never gets used and the mount is a pain to set up and use so I want to buy a larger dob as they are bigger and easy to set up. I would love to get the 8inch however I would need to store it upstairs in my room as there is no where else in the house to store it, so I'm wondering how heavy is the OTA to carry downstairs to set up in the garden and to take it back up again? Or is it too heavy and beefy and would the 6inch be the better option?

Cheers, Thomas :)

If removed from the base and assuming you are averagely fit and healthy an 8" scope should be fine. The 6" will be lighter though of course but the same length. The 8" will give better views of some objects.

As always it is a compromise.

I keep my 8" Dob upstairs also and I'm actually able to carry the whole thing downstairs in one piece while only being reasonably strong. I would probably still recommend splitting it into OTA and base, then making two trips, for the safety of you and the scope.

Great views to be had through an 8", so it's worth the effort.

I'm a weakling - the 6'' is at the limit of my lugging ability - we live in a first floor flat so I've got used to taking it down the stairs in one piece of observing sessions.

Of course if you already use a 5'', then the difference will be much more marked with those extra 2''. Horses for courses!

DD

The 8" will last you. It'll show 99% of what can be seen by larger aperture under normal seeing. The 6" will give you more contrast and is good for lunar / planetary if the ota is the same length as an 8".

It's very manageable and is a weapon of choice !

Nick.

Archived