Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fantastic 21st July of with binoculars

kev100

Hiya,

Having just got back from a weekend at CentreParcs (and being very tired) I didn't want to have to move the scope out and wait for it to cool down last night. Nor, however, did I want to miss out on what was a lovely and clear, moonless night. So, despite being knackered, I thought I'd take the bins out for an hour (they've been a bit neglected since I got my new scope).

What a treat, though. I could just make out the rings on Saturn, had a lovely view of M(s) 3, 10 & 12 (the latter two new to me). Antares was big and red, and the blue and yellow stars of Alberio were pin sharp, and stood out beautifully from the starry background!

Next up was the dumbbell nebula, faint, but clearly defined, and finally M81, M82 (both faint and fuzzy, but lovely to see in the same FOV), and then Andromeda, with just the hint of a wispy spiral arm.

Given that I was in bed for 11.20, just as the milky way was just getting going, I was well pleased with myself (and my bins). 

Cheers,

Kev.

It was a great night for bins. I was amazed that M81/82 were visible in my 10x50's.

Did you wander over to the Wild Duck to Lagoon nebula cascade of clusters and nebulas? It was showing really well with multiple Nebula and cluster combinations in a single FOV.

Paul

Nice report Kev. Last night was the best for seeing for quite a while here (years maybe). The milky way was not only apparent but with clear structure in the rifts. M101 in 10x50s is the acid test for me, and it was readily apparent. 

Paul, I spent a lot of time in the Wild Duck region (we even get a good view all the way down to Ptolemy's Cluster here) and the views were amazing, esp. the Sag. star cloud, one of my favourite objects and seen at its best in bins. 

Martin

Certainly did! We recently bought our son a pair of 8x40 bins (cheap set, for his birthday). Actually wished I'd had them with me last night. Might take them tonight.

Archived