Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

If you can't beat it, study it.

MattJenko

I think I have learnt a basic lesson. After getting some new equipment, the skies have been miserable pretty constantly. However, there have been some breaks in the clouds in Essex the last couple of days and I have tried to get my new Dob out, as well as my new 8x56 binos. My schooling revolves around the ability of a near full moon to flood everything with light and somehow manage to appear in the only breaks in the cloud. Star gazing has been made next to impossible, but with a little moon filter (only just stops me from hurting my eyes), I have seen another world like never before and am once again very content with observing what is up there. I hope to remain friends with this regular DSO nuisance, as I have a feeling we are going to be spending a lot of time together over the ensuing years. Has anyone fallen out of love with our large satellite and what do you do on full moon days when it is the only cloud break night for months?

I find I take great interest in programs that discuss the weather patterns, the forces and their impact on us.

One last night pointed out that there are 5 jetstreams and they form at the boundries of the climatic cells (6 of these).

The problem is you get to realise we have very little chance. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I tend to Observe the moon if there is any sort of terninator at all as there is always something I have not studied

before. I seen how far I can ramp up the Mag before either it gets wobbly-fuzzy or I feel the urge to lay out a Crampon

and Karabiner to stop me falling into the crater.

Full moon there are some bright things to note about the face I suppose, but for me I lose all interest when it has gone

all 2-dimentional.

The most annoyingly obstructive time is from 1st quarter to just after full, unless you observe the moon itself. After a

few days post-full moon I find it gets sufficiently out of the way to get some DSO work done before bed, but then hampers

early morning stuff.    

Another option is Planetary. It takes more than the moon to wash out the planets, even Neptune, and lastly of Course there

are a whole host of bright clusters, double and variable stars out there.

In all I would say interference by Luna annoys, but forces me to observe a wide variety of objects, so I guess that it stops

me from being a fixated DSO Neb-Head 100% of the time.

..........That, and it stops the planet wobbling and keeps the tides going and.....climate.......er well basically it stops us all 

dying and stuff.  Which is a plus for observers and those other types alike.

Clear skies

(Hopefully away from full moon)

Mick

I need to learn to love the moon - my lunography is not especially good, although there are a few features I can pick out and name. Double stars and planets can fill in the time at Full Moon, but I consider the few nights around full to be something of an astronomical write-off. Even the moon isn't much fun to look at then!

DD

When the Moon's out I study the Moon, there are plenty of interesting features up there.

Tonight I've been looking at the Alpine Valley and surrounding area.

Wish I had done some sketches.

Avtar

A good target is the central rill to the Alpine valley . This is about a km wide, a good tester to seeing and your gear. There is also a line of craterlets along the edge, under

Clear skies !

Nick.

I didn't notice the central rill ,I'll look out for it next time.

Might have better luck seeing it when it's a little closer to the terminator.

Avtar

Archived