Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

All gone quiet over there

Floater

Nice clear evening and a shining sun. So I took a closer look.

What a difference from the past few days! Really quiet on the limbs with very few proms. And those that are there are small (not a fitting word for solar prominences, I know) in comparison and wispy. Gone are the huge pillars and arcs billowing out. Even the face of the disc seems less active. Still beautiful to see, though.

Is the Big Man taking a rest after so much activity recently? Maybe calmed by the sight of those noctilucent clouds he's been lighting up?

Peter, can you give a link to that, please?

Had a look for it on GONG but can't find anything. In fact, the latest solar monitor data says 'low activity, no flares in past two days' ...?

Grateful if you could point me.

Gordon. I clicked on the "last 90 frames" icon on the El Teide image which then showed the flare, you have to use the "slow" button to get a better view. Always worth doing this if you are clouded out. There is a nice animation today featured on the Solarchat forum.  :smiley:

Thanks Peter, I think I found it and, yes, huge! Glad to have learned about that facility. Power to you.

Have more questions (no surprise there!), which I'll post separately.

Thanks again.

Archived