Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can't focus on the moon

Just got into astronomy, had a made ds2114 and just bought myself a Skywatcher Quarto 8s and Eq5 heavy duty mount. Scope didn't come with a eyepiece so purchased a Sky-Watcher SWA 70° Eyepiece 22mm. The moon was out tonight so got the scope out, popped the eyepiece in expecting great things and couldn't get the moon into focus, why is that?

I suspect that there is not enough extension on the focuser for using your eyepiece. The Quattro is designed for imaging where  a small back-focus is the order of the day. You will likely require an extension tube so that the eyepiece can be placed further out from the optical tube. These extension tubes are readily available.

Did you use a star diagonal ?

If not a 2" star diagonal adds about 105mm to the optical path length so this will make focussing and viewing easier.

Jeremy.

Please ignore my last post. don't know what I was thinking.

apologies,

Jeremy.

Thanks for the reply, just found the extension tube in the box in the garage, whoops. Did manage to get the dslr setup and took some shots so am happy with that.

Congrats. I was gonna agree with Steve that you need an extension tube. I still agree with Steve but you have it now.

So he was right, you did need one.

LOL.

Archived