Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Out on a School Night

AndyWB

Seeing as it was clear and that I wanted to see Ceres and Vesta close together, I took the little scope outside for a while last night...

I started with Mars - Though it's small, I could see its gibbous shape, and dark patches on the surface. Not bad for x130 in a 5" scope

The sky was light, so next up was Saturn. I can report that the Cassini division can be spotted in a 5" scope, even if it is theoretically beyond the resolution of the scope. Titan and Rhea were also visible. 

Then back to Vesta and Ceres. I hopped from Mars > Theta VIR > Zeta > VIR, and then Ceres and Vesta were within 2 degrees.

I had a go at splitting Antares next - though I'm not sure it's actually possible in a 5-inch. It was a bit rainbow coloured with atmospheric dispersion. I didn't succeed. While down there I had a look at M80 - visible as a round fuzzy blob only - and M4, which was very tough in averted vision.

I split Kappa HER, which wasn't too hard but I'd missed the other day, and headed over to Ophiuchus. I had a look at IC4665 (a nice big open cluster), split 61-OPH, and tracked down Barnard's Star. This was tricky, and I needed to refer to Sky Safari to find it - an unremarkable point of light. 

Next up, doubles in Lyra - and there are a lot - Epsilon, Delta, Eta, Zeta, Beta, Otto Struve 525 (though I think I missed AB, a tight 1.8 arcsecs) Struves 2474 and 2470 (the Double Double's Double). They're really good - both doubles are parallel and the same separation. I'll be going back there! 

Oh, and of course, I had a gander at M57. A nice little ring, though the 250px really shows it off.

Tracked down M14 - a fuzzy blob - and headed south...

M8 was faint, but a definite glowing patch, with the open cluster nearby.

M20 was a faintly brighter region, but with no shape or detail. M21 nearby was easy too.

Then up through M24, catching M23 (dim, but rich), and M25 (brighter, less rich) on the way past to M18

M17 showed a faint swan shape - but it's far from the best I've seen it from town.

M16 I found the open cluster - but no sign of the emission nebula. I forgot to bring my UHC filter out with me - that was a mistake. 

Back down for M22 and M28, both round fuzzy, unresolved blobs, low in the murk. I'd love to see M22 from somewhere more southerly.

I had a look for the Veil Nebula, but didn't see either the east or west parts.

Rounding off the evening, I had a look at M71 - translucent, round and fuzzy - and M27, which was much brighter than I remembered/expected. And I regretted not having a UHC filter again!

But being a school night, I had to get back in to bed. Work was beckoning, and it was 0100...

Still: 2 planets, 1 dwarf planet, 1 asteroid, 10 doubles, 5 Globs, 2 Planetary Nebs, 3 emission nebulae, 8 open clusters, and a high-speed star. Not a bad haul.

Lovely report, great to observe so many targets and some glorious variety. Try a bright spot on the Eastern Veil, NGC 6995, it's usually pretty bright with a UHC from here, edge of town. Just head out from epsilon Cygni, hurrah !

Waited and waited for clear sky last night, but it just went belly up,

Nick.

To be honest, the Veil was a bit … hopeful. The skies from the back of my flat are poor. It's weird - from somewhere dark, it's so big, and seemed so clear. I'm sure I was pointing at it … just… nothing.

Archived