Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Turn Left @ Orion

ghostdance

Finally (it's only been a week but seems ages) my copy of Turn Left arrived this afternoon. All I can say wow, what a great book. Bigger than I expected but only helps to make things easier.

I love the illustrations that show you pretty much what a cluster, say, will look like through a scope. Layout is lovely, spiral bound to boot...And it's written so involvingly (is that a word?) - I've only had the chance to look through briefly but I can see TLAO turning into a pretty constant companion for quite a while.

I'd read lots of recommendations for this - everyone was spot-on. Superb! Best purchase since....since...oh I dunno, my Tele Vue 3x Barlow.

Any beginner like me out there who has not got a copy, do it. You.WIll.Not.Reget.It! 

I'm off to the sofa for a read before twilight...

This probably doesn't need a new topic I guess, but was so pleased with the book I had to. Had to!

I totally agree and my reaction to getting hold of a copy was similar to yours. Great layout with nice written and visual instructions on how to find the listed objects. I have an earlier edition to you but I am sure that being spiral bound must be an advantage 'in the field' and the expanded section for dob users is a good idea too. Admittedly not the cheapest book out there but of course price is always relative to what you get in exchange for it and on that point this book ultimately represents good value.

For those reading this thread that aren't familiar with this book, you can take a look here to get a feel of how this book sets out its information.

Clear skies

James

TLAO, S&T Pocket Atlas and a Planisphere (in that order) are all the beginner needs (IMHO).

I do make a few pencil additions to TLAO to help me get the wider context of some of the diagrams, but find it invaluable especially as a non "go-to" star hopper!

I've also found TLAO so helpful. I really appreciate the 'honest' blurry, sometimes tiny, grey sketches. They show me what I WILL see with my Dob, not what I would see if I had access to Hubble and imaging software as so many other guides do.

I also really like the S&T Sky Atlas and (as a general reference rather than a sky guide) The Backyard Astronomer.

The new edition is spiral bound and I believe there is a section for dobsonian owners in recognition of the large apertures that many new people entering astronomy can now own at a modest cost. I should imagine that the tables at the back of the book have been extended further into the future too.

James

http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Guide-Astronomical-Wonders-Observer/dp/0596526857

This is the book I bought.Worth

checking out.

Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders.

Steve

I, too, have The Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders - a really helpful book with 1 degree black and white images of  most of the greatest objects in the heavens.

I use it most observing sessions to verify that I have found the correct target, read up on it and find other objects in the vicinity. It is also often annotated with observation dates and scope used!! - an earlier version of TLAO is also on my shelf and was instrumental in building my interst in astronomy. Both are great books and along with "The Pocket Sky Atlas"  should be on every astronomer's shelf!!

Archived