Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sun's Photosphere 1st July 2014

Hi Dubhar,

I took this picture with my Canon 400D SLR (not ideal for astrophotography as there is no live view) mounted on my Celestron 127 NexStar SLT. I used the Solar System alignment function on the Goto as obviously there were no other celestial objects to align with. The exposure was 250th of a second at ISO 400. I used a solar filter over the front of the scope made with Baader Solar film and also a 46% orange filter in an empty Barlow tube to get a more pleasing colour than the white you get with Baader film. I also attached a right angle viewfinder to my camera to make the focusing a little easier. I find focusing on the Sun tricky so I focused the scope on the furthest away building I could find before putting on the solar filter. Then, with the filter firmly in place, I pointed the scope at the sun and looked for the edge to fine-tune the focus. Once focus was achieved it was just a matter of taking shots using a remote control and playing with different exposures.

One problem I did have was keeping the Sun exactly in the frame because there is very little room on the top and bottom of the frame so I had to keep an eye on the tracking. I should at this point mention the obvious safety message - Never look at the Sun through a telescope without a proper solar filter. 

I hope that helps   :icon_biggrin:

Hi Dubhar,

I took this picture with my Canon 400D SLR (not ideal for astrophotography as there is no live view) mounted on my Celestron 127 NexStar SLT. I used the Solar System alignment function on the Goto as obviously there were no other celestial objects to align with. The exposure was 250th of a second at ISO 400. I used a solar filter over the front of the scope made with Baader Solar film and also a 46% orange filter in an empty Barlow tube to get a more pleasing colour than the white you get with Baader film. I also attached a right angle viewfinder to my camera to make the focusing a little easier. I find focusing on the Sun tricky so I focused the scope on the furthest away building I could find before putting on the solar filter. Then, with the filter firmly in place, I pointed the scope at the sun and looked for the edge to fine-tune the focus. Once focus was achieved it was just a matter of taking shots using a remote control and playing with different exposures.

One problem I did have was keeping the Sun exactly in the frame because there is very little room on the top and bottom of the frame so I had to keep an eye on the tracking. I should at this point mention the obvious safety message - Never look at the Sun through a telescope without a proper solar filter. 

I hope that helps   :icon_biggrin:

Oh thanks, thats good to know. I know what you mean about the lack of a live view, i've just started to get into astrophotography a little with a canon 350D.

I actually just got a solar filter today as well and it didnt cloud over for a change :D got my first look at the sun up close. 

Archived