NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Filters for globs

The best way to get better views of globular clusters is to increase the aperture of the scope. I know that sounds really obvious but globular clusters improve more noticeably with increased aperture than practically any other type of object I reckon.

I also find moving to a medium or medium / high magnification does help too.

Yep, these answers were what I thought, just wondered if anything would help as I like seeing them in their local environment which you lose some of when you up the power (if that makes sense) and larger aperture won't be happening for a while :0(

From my limited experience, I'd second what John says - going from a 5" to a 10" scope mostly made dim things brighter and added resolution, but completely changed how globs appear! I'm having to revisit them all now :)

As above, dark sky site, aperture, medium to high mag all help. But wherever you are, whatever your kit, worth observing.

But just to see them, many are binocular objects, even from town, M13 / 92 / 15 /  3, are tiny fuzzballs in 10x50s.

Regards, Ed.

As above, dark sky site, aperture, medium to high mag all help. But wherever you are, whatever your kit, worth observing.

But just to see them, many are binocular objects, even from town, M13 / 92 / 15 /  3, are tiny fuzzballs in 10x50s.

Regards, Ed.

As Ed has stated and when the object has reached or is close to its highest position.

As Ed has stated and when the object has reached or is close to its highest position.

This from my experience is the one thing that has really made a difference for me when observing globs. I have been to dark skies with a 10" newt and observed M13 at around 35-45° off the horizon and while very impressive they have not competed with views at home under LP and only using an 8" newt. The difference being M13 sat practically over head at around 70-75°. I was able to pick out the propeller and easily resolve a lot more of the core stars. Don't get me wrong aperture is king as others have said but if your not in a position to up your aperture at this time I would give M13 a try while it sits high over head at the moment.

Hi for my two pence worth a fleeting glance is not long enough the longer you look the more you will see of course it's rather high up at the minute a little tap,on the scope makes things wobble but in between the wobbles some extra detail will pop out try at least a few minutes at the ep a eye patch is always a good think takes pressure of the other eye takes high power rather well

Pat

Archived