Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

autoguider

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a planetery camera & a autoguiding camera (please don't say the obvious)

One is for guiding while the other is for planetary imaging [emoji16]

Sorry - was that the obvious?

Seriously, not a whole lot of difference and most could be used for both tasks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Your main concern with a guidecam is sensitivity - you want high sensitivity to get faint guidestars. For planetary you want sensitivity again - for a high fps - but you will be more concerned about resolution and image quality. The new Lodestar x2 is an example of the best guidecams, a QHY5II is less sensitive but provides a nice image for planetary imaging.

ChrisH

...But still can be used as a guide camera quite successfully (QHY5-II)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Oh yes, I have one and used it as a guidecam for a while - but then I use 70mm guidescopes. It's a different matter when you use an OAG...

ChrisH

Thanks for the replies, chris LX that was kind of the answer i was looking for I'd seen some planetery  cameras with details of what the camera was suitable for and some was'nt suitable for autoguiding thanks again

Archived