Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help! Newbie with a Skywatcher Skyliner 200p

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darn it, I've brought all the equipment back inside now! I hope there's a clear sky tomorrow night!

If you have not already done this, download the Stellarium software (it's free) and it will show you "whats up" at a given time and place. 

It's really useful for finding out which planets and other interesting objects are on show.

I've got that on my phone but it doesn't work whilst pointing it up to the sky like Google sky map. I think the first star I saw was Arcturus according to Google sky map!

While the 10mm eyepiece should reach a focus it's probably not the best one for starting off with. It's relatively narrow field of view very possibly a less sharp and more critical focus.

A 25mm eyepiece would have been much better at this stage. Brighter images, less critical focus and wider field of view. You'd get a lot more of the Moon in your view.

I'm not normally one for advocating buying more kit but if you feel that you aren't making progress and get frustrated it might be worth buying or borrowing a nice 2" 28mm eyepiece.

First Light have the one that came packaged with my new scope on offer right now :http://www.firstlightoptics.com/clearance/skywatcher-28mm-let-long-eye-relief.html

I find it works fine in my 250PDS.

Good luck and happy viewing!

Patience Patience Patience, seriously.... this is the most painful hobby in the world, we are badgered by every element you can think of, but one night you will go outside and see something that will remind you that even after all the waiting, you are doing something pretty amazing, not only are you at one with the Universe, you are a time traveler as well. You will get there and just in time for winter when every cold freezing night will throw something your way. Best wishes.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived