Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR controller app

I just downloaded and paid this app for my android phone, I connect my camera like it says ( Canon T3 ) but I can't get the app to recognize my camera, I am using a Samsung S4 phone, has anyone else succeeded wth this app?

Neil.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there

I can't help you with the android phone issue, but I use a wired shutter release for my 350D which works well.  Looking at the forums in the US (I'm in UK), it seems that a lot of people opt for the wireless remote (link) but a wired one will set you back just over a third of the price (link) at just $7.  This is probably more than you paid for the android app, but it may be easier than worrying about how much battery is left in your phone!!

You need to first not be running the free dslr shutter controller app.

However if the free shutter release does not work on you phone then the full ago will not work either.

The developer provides the free shutter release app so so you can check connectivity first.

You might try dslrdashboard instead which was free when I downloaded it a few months back.

Oh I would make sure you use the usb lead that came with your camera.

I use dslr dashboard with t3 and nexus 7 running 4.2.3. But it does not work/communicate when run on a Asus or Htc phone which run high enough versions of Android.

I use my camera cable plugged into my otg cable on the nexus.

http://dslrcontroller.com/devices.php

My 1100d does work with it.

It is either your cable our your phone devices. My hedge is the phones as my rooted htc running 3.5 based rom does not work nor a asus on 4.2.2

I sent the cable back for a replacement, I ordered a different type this one especially for the galaxy s4, so we'll see.

Neil.

My replacement cable turned up and still no connection.....further investigation required, actually even when I plug the computer mouse in or the keyboard via the OTG cable I get no response so i'm starting to think a phone software issue.

Neil.

ok problem solved, I was using an external battery/case for my Samsung and the connector of the case is only wired for power, no signal pins are hooked up so the signal wasn't getting through, I removed the cover and plugged the OTG cable directly into the phone jack and all is now fine, kudos to the staff member in the store where I went to enquire, now if I can only get a clear sky tonight I am going to try to use my phone as a focusing aid :grin:

Neil.

Well I just spent 3 hours in the garden with the DSLR controller app, I would have been prepared to pay wayyy more than the $8-00 the developer asked....absolutely awesome experience, it was a pleasure to sit back in my garden chair after the initial setup and focus and control everything from the touch screen of my phone, and to see the image of each sub appear on the phone screen prior to being saved instead of the small LCD on the back of the camera was amazing, now of course I am keen to start taking a laptop out with me and get some guiding under my belt, that's a plan for next year though...just wanted to pop in and tell everything is working just fine and I am so so addicted :grin:  :grin:

Neil.

I wish though that I could watch the image form on the screen as the seconds tick by, i'm sure there are a wealth of features to be found when I get more time, I hooked it up in the dark and found what I needed to take my images by fumbling with it in the dark, I need to sit down and investigate it further to take full advantage of it's functionality.

I wasn't even aware that the shutter can be relewased from one touch on the screen, you don't even have to touch the camera or use a cable release, how cool is that! :cool:

Neil.

Archived