NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader Neodymium vs Orion Skyglow

cpper

I heard that the Baader Neodymium filter does miracles on planets, but also works ok on DSO's. Has anyone tried the Orion Skyglow on planets ? Does it work the same  ?

But with DSO's being my target, which would perform better under 5.3-5.6 skies ? The light pollution here is caused by classic yellow streetlamps.

Anyone did a side by side comparison of them ? 

I have used the B N filter for the last two nights, what a difference it makes, the detail stands out

much more, even observing low targets, Saturn is wonderful, lots of detail in the rings and also

on the main planet, it's the first time on both nights I was able to use my 5mm Starguider and got

astounding results, normally 7mm BST planetary is the max, and Saturn is really past it's best, pity

the clouds keep rolling in, only had a couple of hours each night, but this filter is worth every penny

just for the views I have had up to now, great advice from all who contributed to "cpper's" post

Thank You. 

Just a quick addition here. I have a qhy5l-II "colour" planetary cam that comes with it's own filter built in. I also have the baader neodymium 1.25 filter. Would I benefit from screwing it in to the cam and will it increase detail or because of the filter built in would it be too much.

Also I'm guessing I could remove the built in filter and use the neodymium instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a quick addition here. I have a qhy5l-II "colour" planetary cam that comes with it's own filter built in. I also have the baader neodymium 1.25 filter. Would I benefit from screwing it in to the cam and will it increase detail or because of the filter built in would it be too much.

Also I'm guessing I could remove the built in filter and use the neodymium instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure this would be successful, the only way to find out is to try it I suppose, you must bear in mind that the Neodymium Filter is intended for visual use, though it does have a UV/IR cut. Combined with the camera filter I think this would be too much, it will be 'either/or' in my opinion.

Look at:

http://www.karmalimbo.com/aro/pics/filters/narrow.jpg

and

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1520

Some notes:

1) some contrast improvement is found by using very gentle "notch" filters, like the Baader Moon & SkyGlow filter (I use a Sirius Optics CE1).  Because of its gentleness, it can be used to turn up contrast a tiny bit, and works on most objects.  I call this my "guilty pleasure" filter because the tune-up on contrast is subtle and works when the sky is already pristine.

2) On nebulae, however, additional improvement can be had with a:

--BroadBand filter.  This type removes nearly all wavelengths from yellow to red in the spectrum and gives a considerable boost in contrast for Nebulae compared to the notch filter.  Examples: Orion Skyglow, Lumicon DeepSky, Baader UHC-S.  Not very good in severe light pollution and contrast enhancement is low.

--Narrowband filter.  A dramatic improvement in contrast on nebulae, transmission is confined to Hrdrogen Beta and Oxygen 3 emission from the nebulae with other wavelengths filtered out.  If you get one nebula filter, this is the type to get.  Examples: Orion Ultrablock, Lumicon UHC, Thousand Oaks LP-2, DGM NPB.  Baader doesn't make one of these.

--Line filter.  Maximum contrast can be obtained on hydrogen emission nebulae (H-Beta filter) or Oxygen emission nebula (O-III filter).  The O-III is the more commonly-used one because most planetaries and a lot of bright nebulae are helped (Thor's Helmet, The Veil, etc.).  Examples: Orion O-III, Lumicon O-III.  Baader's O-III is very narrow and loses some O-III light, so recommended in really big scopes. 

Archived