NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

June 15, 2014: detached prom still there

Managed a quick look just now, and that detached prom I spotted yesterday is still there, but the shape is much broader than before. It seems a bit further out too. It is joined by many regular proms southwards on the western limb. A few more can be seen on the east. Loads of fine detail on the disk as well

I got a minute of viewing in, having spotted a small but nice and blue gap. Two detached proms, a big faint prom. It looked to me like the "detached" prom from Friday was still hanging on for dear life :shocked::laugh:

Wonder if the skies will clear up a little bit around 7pm our way?

EDIT: forgot to say, that was this morning, around 10am-ish.

Overcast from 9am until 1pm but large clear patches now. The earlier detached proms are now diffuse and faint even with 105mm aperture. The flaring area has now died down. The main current interest lies with two smallish proms both topped by thin thread extensions threaded with beads of bright plasma which are rapidly changing shape and direction.   :smiley:  

Archived