NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

QHY5L-II C first light

After a month I finally got to try out my QHY5L-II Colour. Sky was beautifully clear until I got the scope setup and aligned. Then the clouds started rolling in.

Typical!

I thought I'd carry on just to start getting to grips with it as I've only ever used a DSLR before (well other than a quick dabble with a webcam).

Seeing was pretty atrocious. I had the QHY in my Televue 4x Powermate. This is what I got after a quick process job

post-28556-0-36987000-1402058790.pngpost-28556-0-42070100-1402058812.png

Image quality aside, the first thing that jumped out at me was the image size. Massive! Saturn is 325 odd pixels across :)

With my Canon 7D connected to the Powermate I get this sort of size:

post-28556-0-01606500-1402059052.pngpost-28556-0-78235500-1402059363.png

This must be down to the 7D binning in video mode as the raw pixel size is not much different between the two.

So now all I need is a decent night to see what can be achieved.

By the way, can anyone offer a suggestion as to why Mars is not showing the full disc? Thanks.

Cracking captures for your first light. :smiley:

Mars is moving away now so it has a shadow down the side eg like the moon so there is nothing wrong with your capture/processing . Its handy for highlight the volcanos etc which get lost when Mars is at opposition etc as there are no shadows.

Cracking captures for your first light. :smiley:

Mars is moving away now so it has a shadow down the side eg like the moon so there is nothing wrong with your capture/processing . Its handy for highlight the volcanos etc which get lost when Mars is at opposition etc as there are no shadows.

Thanks and thanks for the info :) To be honest, it was dancing about so much I'm amazed anything shows!

Nice captures! The QHY5L II is a nice little camera isn't it. I bought one recently and I am very happy with it. I have been capturing the best images of the planets I have ever done.

When I next get an opportunity I am going to try in on some DSOs. It's a big set up though, with the guide scope/camera etc, so I need a guaranteed clear night.

Keep up the good work and just wait and see what you can get with better seeing!

Archived