NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Squid for old Bat...

ollypenrice

Tom, Yves and I are collaborating on a big project involving a wider field than shown here. We have Yves' H36 loaded into my FSQ106 while Tom's Atik 11000 is in his FSQ106 on the tandem Mesu. We still have a lot of nights to go but I took the O111 from the H36 (9 hours in 30 minute subs) and wrung its neck before combining it with an earlier Atik 4000/Baby Q image of Sh2-129 in HaRGB. The O111, of course, reveals the Squid Nebula, a bipolar planetary discovered fairly recently by Nicolas Outters. 

While we are still collecting more data I had a play to see what I could make of the elusive Squid, which really is a faint devil!

With Squid,

SH2%20129%20HaO111RGB%20web%20jpg-L.jpg

and without...

SH2%20129%20HaRGB%20-L.jpg

As I say, this is just a play to see if we are getting anywhere with the blessèd thing!

Olly

Keep chipping away at it. It is a thing of beauty :)

Maybe an opinion of one here but I suggest not trying to get rid of any green content from the squid in an effort to make it just blue. It makes it even fainter !

Nice,

Dave.

Keep chipping away at it. It is a thing of beauty :)

Maybe an opinion of one here but I suggest not trying to get rid of any green content from the squid in an effort to make it just blue. It makes it even fainter !

Nice,

Dave.

Cheers, Dave. I applied the O111 slightly harder to green than to blue in order to respect the position of the O111 line in the spectrum. I do normally noise reduce green but not in applying the Squid. I'm milking the darned thing for all it can give! The sky looks good yet again so I hope for another 3.5 hours tonight. If we had two O111 filters it would be more, but we don't. The other half of the rig will be on RGB since the moon is appearing again.

Olly

Archived