Vixen SLV 2.5mm

Pig

Well my new super high power 2.5mm SLV turned up today :laugh: ( 200 x magnification in my scope )

All I need now is the Moon and some clear skies and I should be able to put the scope through its paces.

Only the 6mm to get now and that should suffice for me on the eyepiece front :shocked: Cough Cough for a week or 2 anyhow :laugh:

As soon as I get the chance I will write a Lunar review and compare it to my old Nagler 3-6 zoom experiences

It will be interesting to see what you think of it Shaun. I did have a 2.5mm eyepiece for a while - the Nagler T6 2.5mm, but I found the exit pupil caused the floaters in my eye to really detract from the view of any extended object (eg: the Moon) so I did not keep it for long.

The worrying thing John is you have a tendency to be right :laugh:

From memory how did your 2.5mm compare to the Nagler zoom at the 3mm setting ? 

In my scope it equates to approximately 0.4mm versus 0.48mm exit pupil, I got on fine with the 3mm Zoom :smiley:

Congrats, Shaun, I will be interested to see how you get on with it.

I'm still not sure what to do for the shorter focal length eyepieces. Sarah and I picked our current range mostly for longer focal length dob viewing, but now the fracs are getting more of a look-in for planets and lunar, exposing the gaps. I think I would use a 2.5 on the Moon, though Sarah doesn't like pushing the mag so much. I must admit floaters were a problem the other night with about a 3.2mm equivlant eyepiece-Barlow combo, the floater kept going right over poor little Mars :shocked:

The worrying thing John is you have a tendency to be right :laugh:

From memory how did your 2.5mm compare to the Nagler zoom at the 3mm setting ? 

In my scope it equates to approximately 0.4mm versus 0.48mm exit pupil, I got on fine with the 3mm Zoom :smiley:

I find that anything less than 4mm shows my floaters off but they start to get really distracting from 3mm. I may have more of them than you do though - I guess everyone is different in this. It's bright extended objects such as Jupiter, Saturn and the Moon where they become a pain, not really an issue with binary stars.

The driving force of me buying one is the potential combination with the Herschel wedge, I am pretty confident it will work fine on sunspots and I will get that little extra  magnification over the 3mm zoom  :shocked:

The Moon is also a favourite of mine and I hope I can get that little extra detail that I want to hone in on the whilst I am surveying the surface with the 4mm. :smiley:

Anything else will be a Brucey bonus :grin:

It's funny how different people like different views when they observe. I tried the 85 and wedge with a range of eyepieces the other day and still come back to my old favorites which are 12.5mm BGO, 11mm TV Plossl and 9mm BGO. Anything else to me is quite a strain and seems over magnified. The nag zoom seemed too much at any setting really but if you get good views with it, why not!

I find floaters an issue at or below 0.5mm exit pupil but I'm willing to 'look around' them to get the required magnification on planets. As John says, not an issue on doubles though. I too sold a 2.5t6 because it was too much for my scopes, although I could now use one for my Genesis.

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's interesting that you want to push mag for white light, Shaun. I could also do with a little more oomph for white light, though it's especially the Moon and planets I want more power for. I tend to use my 5mm at the moment as my main eyepiece for white light. I haven't tried it with the 5x Powermate yet though :grin:

Like I think high mag works great on sunspots, the crotch patterns show up really well :)

Are you sure you have been looking at the sun Shaun? ;-)

Well I have thrown my lot in with Delos and gone for the 3.5mm. The 2.5mm SLV and the 3mm Radian were very tempting too indeed, the Radian is £142.96 brand spanking new from Telescope House, that seems a decent price, I know from my 5mm and 8mm that they are very good EP's. But I think I will use the Delos 3.5mm as my highest mag and if now and again I want to try that little bit more, I'll get the 5x Powermate out :grin:

One of my most amazing eyepiece views to date so far was my first high res view of sunspots in white light. I was using a binoviewer and I have no idea what mag it was, I had to chuck on some kind of high power barlow setup, it may even have been barlow plus glass path corrector, to get focus at the time due to the long light path of the Herschel Wedge. The level of detail was astonishing :shocked:

Are you sure you have been looking at the sun Shaun? ;-)

It is a funny name I must admit Stu, I have also heard the saying " kiss me where the sun don't shine"  and that's very close to the crotch :grin:

Archived