Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Altair 10x60mm Right Angle Finder - worth the money???

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prompted by this thread, and the fact that I also have a lot of trouble with the contortions a straight-through finder requires, I've ordered a Altair 10x60.

It arrived at home today and I'm beyond exited. Given that I also received a new eyepiece this week I'd like to apologise in advance for the next 2-3 weeks of cloudy skies.

Hi I was going to get this Finder Scope as a Birthday present but could find one in-stock for sale. Where did you get yours from? The one provider I could find didn't reply to either my mobile call to call me back nor my email to them. Didn't inspire confidence.

Hi I was going to get this Finder Scope as a Birthday present but could find one in-stock for sale. Where did you get yours from? The one provider I could find didn't reply to either my mobile call to call me back nor my email to them. Didn't inspire confidence.

theres one for sale in the classified

Success (re. optical finders) is more likely for "fork mounted CATs"... alt-aziumuth mounts... refractors...

For my equatorial, obsy-based, NEWT, the b... finder usually ends up about 2' above my head! :p

Aside: But this is actually just about right for a red dot finder like the Baader  Skysurfer V. 

The above mounting TIP is great ... Attach this (larger!) finder closer to the balance point - I have

multiple locations (added screws / wingnuts!) so I can re-locate it for a particular sky region!

I think Sir Patrick mentioned the idea of having SEVERAL finders on the one scope. :D

It was mine and it was sold. I've replaced it with a WO 50mm RACI finder from Agena Astro. I think it also parades as a Stellarvue F-50M.

I had bought the WO for my ES 80 Apo as it would fit in the supplied flight case. The problem was that for my use, the AA 10x60 was too heavy for my Dob and the WO was sharper across the FOV, whether with the AA illuminated reticle EP and especially with the 20mm Maxvision SWA I prefer to use.

Your mileage may vary and it is a beautifully built finder. It worked really well as a mini spotting scope too, but I don't do enough of that to have justified keeping it.

Russell

Archived