NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M13 -- Without guide stars?

Hello to the whole SGL community.

My planisphere indicates that the Hercules constellation is just above Lyra in the night sky at about 10pm. My city is vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvery light polluted :mad:  :mad: and i want to show my father the M13. I cant see any stars of Hercules constellation. Only Vega of Lyra can be seen that also dim. how to locate the cluster without the guide stars? Do i need to buy binoculars?

Please give your valuable suggestions.

Any help would be appreciated  :smiley:  :smiley:  :smiley:

-Prabal

Hi Prabal,

Would you please refrain from using multi-coloured text in your posts. I find it very difficult to read and significantly detracts from what you are saying / asking. I suspect that you very well get more replies to your posts if you used standard fonts and colours.

Ian

Yes, I agree with Ian. So much colour is very distracting, and looks like a trip down Blackpool Promenade at Illuminations time.

Apart from that, it might ruin your Night vision, and prevent you seeing normally visible fainter objects.

The last part is nonesense, but I use it only to stress the point.

Kindly modify it.

Thank You.

Barkis.

Here is a shot from Starry Night, showing Hercules, and M13. Taken betwwen 10 and 30 degrees North, which is about your latitude. I'm not sure where in India you live.

Hercules is lying on his side in this image. M13 is between the two bright stars in his right shoulder, about two third the way up.

Right shoulder as you look at it, but actually, his left shoulder as he's looking at you so to speak.

Click on the Image to enlarge it.

Ron.

post-567-0-13510100-1400829068_thumb.jpg

If your light pollution is bad, wait for Hercules to be high up in the sky to improve your chances. if you can see Vega you should be able to Arcturus more than likely. Imagine a line between those two bright stars. Hercules will be almost on that line around a third of the way from Vega, and slightly up by that by a few degrees. Use the lowest power eyepiece you have to begin with. Look for what looks like a slightly fuzzy blob in that area that doesn't look quite like the other stars, which should be sharp and point like . In my finder scope which has 50mm aperture it appears like that which has slightly less aperture than your scope.   You know when you see it the first time that it is obviously not a star and more like a diffuse  blob.

Here is a shot from Starry Night, showing Hercules, and M13. Taken betwwen 10 and 30 degrees North, which is about your latitude. I'm not sure where in India you live.

Hercules is lying on his side in this image. M13 is between the two bright stars in his right shoulder, about two third the way up.

Right shoulder as you look at it, but actually, his left shoulder as he's looking at you so to speak.

Click on the Image to enlarge it.

Ron.

attachicon.gifM13.jpg

Nice assist there Ron, helped me as well.

• 2 months later...

Archived