Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Abell 2151 (Hercules Galaxy Cluster)

Martin Meredith

I've become very fond of galaxy clusters since acquiring the Lodestar-C/Live combo so with Hercules well placed here's a 60s attempt at Abell 2151in the 80mm f/6 between the clouds last night. It's not the best as I forgot to re-level the mount, so there's some trailing.

post-11492-0-62359000-1400746298_thumb.p

This is the SDSS image of the same region (nice to see its not just me that gets blown out stars ;-)

post-11492-0-21532400-1400746437_thumb.p

Here's the result of putting it through Astrometry.net. The field is so full of galaxies that the labelling doesn't really help much in this case (besides, it has missed some  :smiley: )

post-11492-0-08588000-1400746376_thumb.p 

I've been monitoring the faintest objects for a while and reckon with this scope I can get to around mag 16, perhaps a little more, in the village with some LP. For this kind of object the new SX mono Lodestar would be ideal!

Thanks for looking

Martin

Thanks. Always good to see the same objects through different setups.

BTW have your images lost something in compression? The artefacts look like jpeg rather than camera noise...

Martin

May be. I use a high level of jpg compression but have raised it recently. Of course enlarged and successive crops will suffer:-)

nytecam, on 26 May 2014 - 3:57 PM, said:

Hi Martin - very nice image - here's my response from last night via 30cm SCT + Lodestar-Mx2 + LodestarLive in 45 sec with annotated negative version too via Sloan DSS reference  :police:

Here is a prime example of just stacking two image on the fly will make a big difference in pulling out these very faint galaxies more through the background noise.

Chris A

Astrogate

Archived