Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sat 17the may....solar

Two large proms on the left side a fair distance apart but they seem to be joined together now with a thin sliver. This is only just happening now.

The upper prom seems to be growing too as if it's feeding off the lower one. GREAT DAY FOR SOLAR :-)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Sun just gets better and better the more I see it, it really is amazing to look at.

I can see a chunk of blue approaching. Been ready to go since 7am! I've even had time to clean my sunglasses with Baader wonder fluid! :grin:  I must say, it's done a brill job.

Good morning all, I am a bit late up today :shocked:

Great views today as described above, there are at least 6 decent proms on the go and a load of lovely detail on the surface.

Complete blue sky here at the moment without a cloud in sight. I think a visit to the wine shop is in order :grin:

I am so glad I have a solar scope

How much of a visual difference (I don't want photography) would a lunt 60 with a b600 blocking filters be compared to my 35mm b400 blocking filter?

Skem

I don't know the comparison personally, but I have the 600BF and the Lunt 60 and it is pretty spectacular :smiley:

The guy who bought my CPC a few weeks back has a 40mm Coranado and he said the difference between mine and his are stark, completely different.

His words to me were "what fantastic views, I have never seen so much detail before" He was a very seasoned astronomer

So the proms will be more or less the same but there will be a big difference in the surface detail?

It's not that I'm disappointed in the detail this fantastic scope provides,it's just.......well........well......it's just.......I WOULD LOVE TO SEE MORE.

I'm just gready :-)

No he said the proms were completely different too, I specifically asked him as that was what I was wondering too.

He also said there is no sweet spot on the Lunt and that it was excellent across the FOV, whereas his has a distinct sweet spot.

Please remember my 9m Vixen SLV eyepiece is very good and this would have contributed to the views he saw.

The Vixen SLV's are sharper and have more contrast than the Lunt zoom when at equal settings.

The Lunt zoom is excellent so why would you need any more eyepieces, I agree. :laugh:

I would wait and see the outcome of the reviews for the Quark before you buy a larger aperture solar as it looks like they will work with most refractors. ( you could end up getting a decent refractor and the equivalent B1200 for half the price of a new 60mm PT Lunt)

I know Luke has ordered one :smiley: and I for one will wait for his review.

Skem, I have a SolarMax 60, none of that fancy pants pressure tuning, alas, but it does the job :) The price was a fair bit lower than a Lunt at the time. Not sure too much how it compares to a 35.

Well, what a lovely morning once it cleared up!

I think white light won today for me. The clarity was superb earlier on! The view of the spots near the Eastern limb was so crisp, with bright well-defined faculae weaving between the spots. I especially loved seeing the large spot that was very close to the edge, about to sail over to the other side, looking thin and stretched out, with just a slither between itself and the edge. Beautiful!

Further away from this group, was a heart-shaped spot. Sadly, it looked broken hearted :cry:

Closer to the centre of the disc, there were two triangular-shaped groups of spots, a larger and a smaller one. I particularly liked the small one, which had numerous pores and looked like a large spot had shattered into many pieces. Very cool :cool:

In h-alpha, the thing that really stood out for me was a large, thick dark filament. With my active imagination (!) it looked like no, not a sheep (baaaa!), but a cunning fox, with a long neck and lengthy, bushy tale, with two little stubby legs.

There were about five impressive prom structures and a very faint one. The most impressive were two proms that looked a bit like battleship guns facing each other, about 1/20th the circumference of the Sun apart. Later in the session I noticed thin streaks running between the battleship gun proms, like they were firing at each other.

What also stuck out for me was plenty of bright plages to be seen, especially a chain of bright areas running across the lower third of the disc as seen in the mirrored view. One active area in particular was ablaze :shocked:

Hope everyone manages a look-in today. I am hoping for more of the same tomorrow!

Boy is it warm out  :cool:

The 2 sets of 2 proms are looking great ,there is some excellent intricate detail available for the taking.

Don't you just Love Luke's imagination :grin: the "sailing ship" as he described yesterday turned into the shape of England eventually, so it must have been HMS Victory.

I wasn't fortunate enough to see the sheepfox :shocked: but I think Ha is definitely the colour of wild foxes.

Whit light is looking great too, the spots are not as massive today, still there is some excellent detail again

Aperture fever strikes! I have looked through a Lunt LS60PT, but never side by side. Might be able to do a comparison this summer.

I know I didn't think it would hit me so soon. I love the views through my 35mm but I would really like a bit more surface detail. Perhaps I'm being just greedy too. This solar observing has really got me,more so than night observing.

The other day I was considering selling my other gear to fund a bigger solar,that's how bad it is.

Archived