SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Solar image using the new beta drivers with my Skyris 274

madjohn

Image from this morning, This is just after I downloaded the new beta drivers from the Imaging source for my new Skyris camera. This is a vast improvement on the original drivers that came with the CD in the original box.
There are so many more parameters I can adjust so I can really finetune the video feed 
I only had time to shoot the one video before I had to leave for work and here's the result.
Really excited to use the new drivers in the future.

post-2542-0-39050700-1400270829_thumb.jp

Yes that was the reason I found out about the new driver - I was really struggling to get a good video feed using just exposure and gain. With the new driver not only do i have exposure and gain I have gamma, sharpness, contrast and a host of others to adjust :icon_king:

Very good news. I had given up on the Skyris cams due to lack of control, now I am seriously tempted again.

What frame rates are you getting with the 274 john?

I could really be tempted to try the 618 just for the faster framerates if the new firmware applies to all the Skyris cams.

Hi Allen - top fps for the 274 is 20fps which doesn't sound much but is perfectly adequate.

You must remember that the amount of data coming from the camera is massive! the FOV is enormous too which is why it's so well suited  to surface images. It also means it's difficult to get the FOV evenly illuminated (which you can see as a brightness in the l/h side of my image)

because of the sweetspot problem with my modified solarscope.

I found with the original drivers included in the box there was only the facility to adjust exposure and gain which is just too coarse and erratic to get a good video feed coming in to record the Sun (It was ok on the Moon though)

The new driver seems to work fine and you have a huge amount of  adjustment parameters available to play with.

If your serious about buying one of the new Skyris's I strongly recommend you download the beta version driver (The 6th link on the list down from the top) which is available at :-

http://archive.theimagingsource.com/en_US/p/aa5ff3d0/

Thanks John, I already downloaded the new beta drivers as TIS states that they are for usb2 and usb3 cams. Unfortunately it doesn't make any difference to the DMK31 cam, so maybe it only improves the Skyris versions . I was hoping I would gain some more adjustments with the DMK range, but it doesn't look like it. Sharpness would have been very useful.

Hi Allan

Yes I also have the DMK31 camera and I too was disappointed that there were no extra parameters to play with after I had upgraded the new driver for it :( 

Seems the upgraded drivers with the extra parameters are only for the new Skyris cameras. 

John

Looks great, I have looked at the skyris 274 and thought of buying it. It would be soo nice to get up to 30 fps with the USB3. Is the chip (apart from the difference in resulotion) much like that on the DMK 41?

//Johan 

Archived