Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M109 a Tough Target under the Moon

lensman57

Hi,

I did this last night. A clear night for a few short hours after nearly a month of clouds and rain. Mr Moon was in full strength but I was not going to miss the clear spell. TBH I found it a tough target, it is very dim and small and there doesn't seem to be any features in the spirals I think that this one demands very dark skies and true large aperture scopes. Had it been a Moonless night I would have given it 1200s subs as the guiding with the heavy scope was good, but with the Moon and my LP I think that I have done OK for 600s per sub. I took 17 X 600s but only 13 were usable due to the passing clouds. Quattro 8s @ F4, Atik 428EX OSC, IDAS P2 all on HEQ5 Pro and PHD guiding and the usual calibration frames.  I am not quite happy with the colour balance in the core region so a reprocess maybe on the way.

Hope you like it anyway.

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-64558500-1400070037_thumb.p

You brave man, though I understand your severe cold turkey withdrawal symptoms. I saw on another thread yesterday that you were heading out to do some imaging and did think, wow, he's more dedicated than me! I had to bite my lip and remind myself that Saturn was too close to the moon and DSOs were simply not available. I couldn't sit still though and did sneak out with the camera and do a few snaps just with a normal lens on - won't be up to much, but just had to take some pictures!

Anyway, you have shown that the full moon doesn't have to spoil a man's fix. Well done and 10/10 for dedication!

Let's just all hope that as the moon wanes, we have some beautiful clear nights and can put in some good hours of imaging.

Archived