Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

May 14, 2014: Solar Lunchtime Side-walk Astronomy

Had another stint with the LS35 during lunch. Lovely detail to be seen, some nice loops down south, along with several nearly straight proms. The sunspots were still strutting their stuff on the western hemisphere, several other proms scattered round, prominently (sorry) due west, due east, and north-east. On faint feature which at first escaped me but later caught my eye looked first like a faint, near linear detached prom, parallel to the limb, to the south-east (roughly 4 o'clock position in my LS35). Closer inspection suggested it was part of a very long, very thin arc spanning a significant fraction of the south-eastern limb.

As I had set my scope up on the pavement outside our building, a couple of PhD students (not from our group, they already had a look) dropped by to ask me what I was doing. I told them and let them have a look. I think I made their day. As they went back to their institute, I could hear them repeat "That was SO COOL!" many times. Great fun

lovely stuff Michael. I am determined to buy a Lunt of some description when I can afford one and it's either the 35mm or the new 50mm. I suppose there might be a drop in perceived value of the 35mm with the apparent 'cheapness' of the 50mm but the 50mm with pressure tuning does sound great. do you use any kind of 'shroud' over you head?

Those sunspots are looking magnificent today. I'll have a look for the loop you describe a little later Michael, thanks for the pointer :-)

Moonshane, I use a PST but find that an old towel works to shade the eyepiece. I've got one of the metal shields, but I find them bulky to carry around. That said I was just shielding the eyepiece with my hand a moment ago.

James

lovely stuff Michael. I am determined to buy a Lunt of some description when I can afford one and it's either the 35mm or the new 50mm. I suppose there might be a drop in perceived value of the 35mm with the apparent 'cheapness' of the 50mm but the 50mm with pressure tuning does sound great. do you use any kind of 'shroud' over you head?

Cheers, Shane

I have a hat, three actually: a grey Tilley in summer, a dark brown Barmah roo-leather for more usual Dutch weather (got it on a discount in Sydney, because the owner had stocked up on too many XXLs, to the chagrin of his wife :D), and a "Nebraska" cow leather hat for seriously strong wind (merely an XL, so rather tight, but it never blows off, even in wind force 9). Usually its the Tillay or the Barmah that get used for solar (gosh, wonder why ;))

thanks both re the shade. the 'quarks' do look a good option. I am not keen on electronics at the scope though and understand the quarks have to warm up? (sorry - we are wandering off topic a bit I suppose).

I have just had a couple of people from work look through my white light set up. not quite as exciting for them as a HA scope but still a first for them :smiley:  sunspots are plentiful!

thanks both re the shade. the 'quarks' do look a good option. I am not keen on electronics at the scope though and understand the quarks have to warm up? (sorry - we are wandering off topic a bit I suppose).

I have just had a couple of people from work look through my white light set up. not quite as exciting for them as a HA scope but still a first for them :smiley:  sunspots are plentiful!

Hey, I started the bit about the Quark, and as OP I think I can veer off topic if I want to ;)

Archived