Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR mirror-up

Dave_D

while pondering the issue of the horizontal gradient which appears at the bottom of a lot of my images, i noticed this:

mirror in down position:

IMG_20140512_172338_zpsve94abwq.jpg

mirror in up position:

IMG_20140512_172428_zpstpkpovoq.jpg

is the mirror housing obscuring part of the light cone from the primary to produce the gradient? as the mirror is at the top, and the images produced are inverted, the gradient would appear at the bottom.

this led me on to wonder if it is safe to completely remove the mirror and it's mechanical components as this camera is purely for astro work.

You should be fine rmeoving it. Its only for looking through the view finder on the camera itself. So you wont be able to use that if you remove it. Does the 1100D have live view? Not sure if it does or not but you will need that if you remove the mirror.

Top work.

Does the kettle work off the camera battery? ;)

Seriously, does doing this make a difference for imaging? I ask as I used to suffer from a nasty gradient on my 20D (way back) that I put down to amp glow.

Cheers

Ian

Top work.

Does the kettle work off the camera battery? ;)

Seriously, does doing this make a difference for imaging? I ask as I used to suffer from a nasty gradient on my 20D (way back) that I put down to amp glow.

Cheers

Ian

just waiting for a clear night to try it out, but from the link further up the thread, it should help as that was exactly the same effect i was having on my subs

just waiting for a clear night to try it out, but from the link further up the thread, it should help as that was exactly the same effect i was having on my subs

I would think you should be able to see a change in your flat frames?

Do you use your camera on a particularly fast imaging scope?  Most people don't notice this bottom gadient unless using a fast scope like the Takahashi Epsilon or a Hyperstar. 

The other problem that mirror removal cured is the extra pair of vertical diffraction spikes on bright stars near the bottom of the image - again caused by the mirror edge interrupting the light cone.

A flat frame will definitely tell you if you have cured your problem - no need to wait for a cear night.

Mark

i've no provision for doing flats at the moment... trying to build a light box at the moment. it's an f4.8 and the gradient was quite noticable. i often wondered where the extra diffraction spike came from as well, but it wasn't limited to just the bottom of the frame

ic405_zps7c05b8f5.png

hopefully i've killed 2 birds with 1 heated scalpel blade  :grin:

just did a very rough-and-ready test (white shirt over scope with it pointing out the window) and the difference in shape of the vignette is huge. keep in mind the scope isn't collimated, in a warm bedroom and the focus point isn't where it would be for imaging.

pre removal

vignette1_zps285a6e69.jpg

post removal

mirrorless_zpsonw3v5jx.png

Good result!  Glad my guide was helpful :smiley:

Regarding diffraction spikes - yes you will still get an extra pair of diffraction spikes on stars all the way around the frame edge - the spikes will be perpendicular to the edge.  But a greater area is affected by this on the edge with the mirror, until the mirror is removed.   It's because the CCD on a DSLR is at the bottom of a rectangular opening and each edge of the rectangle chops the light cone to some extent.

So far I've removed the mirror from my 350D, 400D and 550D - it's the same procedure for each.

Mark

Archived