NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Latest Synscan update v 3.21

cygnusx1

The latest update from the Skywatcher homepage is available

http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/swtinc/customer_support.php?class1=1

SynScan Firmware (Ver.03.21) Release Note

Date: Feb. 4, 2008

===============================================================

1. Smoother response to manual guiding and PC based autoguiding command.

2. "PC Direct Mode" added. It allows the PC to communicate directly with the motor controller via RS-232C connection. The RS-232C port of the PC should be configed as 9600bps, 1 start bit, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity check and no flow control. Activate "PC Direct Mode" under "Utility\PC Direct Mode>". Press the "ESC" key to exit. The 4 direction buttons and rate controlling function operate as usual under this mode.

This feature is also designed for future applications.

Even the v2s can go from laptop to hand controller to mount, I think the v3.21 don't need the hand controller in the chain. I have mine setup with StarryNight, for visual use its a much use as a chocolate fireguard, the lappy just spoils your night vision even with the red screen option on.

...the lappy just spoils your night vision even with the red screen option on....

Thats been one of the main reasons why I've never tried this (along with having to carry more kit around). I think I'll need to try it on a moonlit night when night vision isn't quite so important!

James

The HC is still needed, but bypassed in the communications with the mount. This was always one of the issues with pulse guiding thru the handset in that it introduced delays in the chain.

EQMOD still has more functionality though!

James - I'll download this (or any newer updates) for Kelling, if you don't have it done by then.

I like the sound of smoother responsse to manual guiding. Presuming that includes PEC correction movements. Will upgrade just for that reason... and the fact I just like updating stuff :D. Probably means I will have to redo my PEC training.. kind of a good thing cus I started off a bit wonky with that anyways :D

Matt

Ran it the other night, and it's so far so good...but the previous builds (all of them) had major issues with PAE and handbox corruption, plus there is still an onbgoing problem with some of them (maybe earlier version 3 HC's) and temperature/slow down..

But...this build does look to have some nice features...so fingers crossed

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still trying to get my head around EQMOD etc but from what I can gather this upgrade means your PC/laptop running EQMOD can talk directly with the mount without any hardware adapter (EQDir)? If so this seems like a significant improvement. Please advise me if I am wrong :D.

Archived