Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

After work sun

MarkRadice

After a manic week at work it was a relief to get home at a reasonable hour and use my new 60mm Lunt solar scope.  With a simple Celestron zoom, I spent ages exploring the wonderful detail around the limb, the faculae and sunspots.  I never knew solar observing could be so interesting and dynamic.  

I took a quick snap with the dslr - the view through the eyepiece was much more detailed so I might take the sketch pad with me next time.  

Clear skies,

Mark

post-26666-0-04273200-1399671011_thumb.j

Nice shot Mark :tongue:

Solar observing is very satisfying and like you say it is also very dynamic :smiley:  A Herschel wedge is also a great addition to Solar observing as it really enhances the Solar spot detail. (you do need a refractor)

Solar observing also reduces the frustrations of not being able to observe at night due to cloudy conditions, I have more than doubled my observing sessions since buying my solar scope to around 16 a month :laugh:

Nice shot Mark :tongue:

Solar observing is very satisfying and like you say it is also very dynamic :smiley:  A Herschel wedge is also a great addition to Solar observing as it really enhances the Solar spot detail. (you do need a refractor)

Solar observing also reduces the frustrations of not being able to observe at night due to cloudy conditions, I have more than doubled my observing sessions since buying my solar scope to around 16 a month :laugh:

it certainly makes the summer astronomy months much more bearable!

I'm I right in saying that faculae can only be seen in white light and not HA ?

Skem, you can also see faculae in Ha :smiley:

If you adjust the front etalon so all you can see is the sunspots and an orange disc ( you should see the faculae surrounding the sunspot ) Do not be afraid to use a high power as it enhances what you see, I use up to a 3mm. :smiley:

I do find the detail is greatly enhanced in white light using the Herschel wedge and a standard refractor.

Can't get the facile,when etalon is tuned all the way but your scope shows better surface detail anyway.

Gorgeous proms at 4 and 8 o'clock and a big faint loop at 1 o'clock. Lots of other tiny ones dotted about.

The two main active regions are producing really bright plague. Heading towards the limb at around 4 o'clock,there is a plage in a horseshoe shape,it's pretty small though.

Not major busy but still enough to keep you there for an hour or too but I must go to bed :-)

Great to see so much interest in Solar on here, it really is an enjoyable way to while away the hours in the garden and this time of year has the added bonus of all the young birds which have just fledged to keep us company.

Archived