NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Good Entry Level Scope

All,

i just wanted to know if anyone uses the Orion 80mm short tube as a primary imaging scope?

I want to get into imaging with a refractor, but i dont wanna spend a lot of money, just wondering if i would get acceptable images with this scope...nothing fancy just acceptable.

PS - i would be using a Canon 60D for imaging along with the iOptron zeq25gt mount.

Thanks

Dave

PPS - if you use this scope for imaging would you please share some images?

You can get an image from this scope but I would describe it as about as unsuitable as it gets. The colour correction is dire so stars, particularly blue ones, will bloat like crazy. It also has a lot of field curvature and a somewhat tilt-prone focuser. It makes a great guide scope but is not a good choice for imaging. On a budget a camera lens or reflector would be much better. When people (like me!) harp on about the joys of refractor imaging we are, generally, talking about expensive ones...

Olly

All,

i just wanted to know if anyone uses the Orion 80mm short tube as a primary imaging scope?

I want to get into imaging with a refractor, but i dont wanna spend a lot of money, just wondering if i would get acceptable images with this scope...nothing fancy just acceptable.

PS - i would be using a Canon 60D for imaging along with the iOptron zeq25gt mount.

Thanks

Dave

You can take pictures through cheap, achromatic refractors but what you end up with (as Olly indicates) is big, blue bloated stars where the optics can't bring all the different colours of light to same focus.

Leo Galaxy Triplet through a Skywatcher ST80

Dscf4106.jpg

To get pinpoint stars there are two options - spend a bit more money on a better corrected refractor like the Orion ED80

Or if the budget is tight (and my own choice of instrument) are the cheaper F4 reflectors

Orion 4.5" F4 or for a bit more money (well double!) and with a much better focuser there is the TPO 6" f/4 Imaging Newtonian OTA

The TPO 6" F4 will definitely cover the CCD of your camera the 4.5" F4 might struggle.

I open up a can of worms by recommending imaging reflectors to beginners- but personally I think they offer great value for money and have good potential when used correctly.

Be aware that you will probably need to purchase a coma corrector to go with the Newtonian reflectors (equally well most refractors need a field flattener/focal reducer to make them useable).

Also you will to be able to make collimation adjustments to a reflector scope (you don't with refractors which is why many recommend them for beginners) so also budget for a collimation tool if you go this route.

My main reason for going with a reflector is the faster focal ratio or 'F' number. An F4 reflector scope is suited for DSLR work but the F7.5 refactors are a tad slow.  

All,

Thanks

Dave

Don't waste your money getting an Achromat and using it for imaging, it will put you off imaging very quickly so you will either spend more money getting the right scope or you will sellup you gear and give up. You have not specified a budget but if I were you I'd save a little longer and get a decent ED or APO refractor, these need not be Premium brands with premium prices and over in the US very good deals can be had if you shopped around. The suggestion of using a reflector for imaging is a good one but I feel that to get the best out of these scopes you have to have some imaging experience and the chance of these working out of the box for you is very slim as they all need some degree of adjustment and fettling, given the size of your mount the bulk of these scopes may also become a problem . Have a look at the Explore Scientific and William Optics range of ED and APO scopes as the prices for the entry level scopes are quite reasonable. Unless you wish to rely on the tracking accuracy of your mount for short exposure (  up to 90s ) imaging then you also need to budget for the guiding gear too.

A.G

There are lots of threads on this site using that short tube but you will also need to search using ST80.

In America the scope is an Orion short tube 80mm in the UK pretty much the same scope is the Skywatch star travel 80mm

Both are referred to as ST80.

This may help you search and see what others are doing with this scope to help you decide if you can live with the images produced.

Oh, I think I have just been put off giving AP ago with my ST80. :sad:

never be put off giving it a go. providing you're not puting money into additional purchases, then it costs nothing but a bit of time :D.

The gallery is got a search on it too and on a quick browse I found this by member cozzy and it would make me smile. I know that I have yet to do anything myself but I can't spend the money to get the jaw dropping awsome shots seen and shared on this site but this image I would be elated with if it were mine (sadly with no tracking mount I can only ooooh at it)

I am making a huge assumption that SW80 does not mean SW ED 80. But a little more time and saving would get more scope :)

http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/image/11062-remixed-due-to-the-lovely-northern-weather-nowt-to-do-lol20x-90sec-darks-and-flats-through-sw-80mm-canon-1000d-iso800/

You can take an image through a milk bottle bottom. Don't be too optimistic, though! I think what people are, quite reasonably, trying to do here is give you the low down on what to expect from what price. The key information concerns focal length. You can take real pictures of the night sky just on a fixed tripod if your focal length is short and your focal ratio fast.

The longer the focal length, the better the tracking has to be. 

The best budget scope is a Newtonian.

It doesn't have to be insanely expensive - though it soon will be!!

Olly

I guess the ST80 is a good starting point for AP if you already have one to see how well you get the basics right then you can start looking at better scopes if you enjoy it and think you can progress it further.

See, I don't know if I have the patience for it yet hence the reason for starting off with the equipment I already have before splashing out.

I guess the ST80 is a good starting point for AP if you already have one to see how well you get the basics right then you can start looking at better scopes if you enjoy it and think you can progress it further.

See, I don't know if I have the patience for it yet hence the reason for starting off with the equipment I already have before splashing out.

This makes sense.

Olly

Why not start by using your camera with a lens on your existing mount?

Could start trying it for wide field images and see if you like imaging and the processing.

all,

i guess i should have been a little more clear on things...

i have a long history with photography, my previous setup was a Celestron 9.25HD cgem and i also had a Celestron 800HD CPC at one time. i love the entire imaging process but it was becoming too much traveling with all that Rubbish!

so im looking for something small, thats why i got the iOptron zeq25gt mount with the 2" tripod and now i need a good small scope.

saw that Skywatcher dropped its price on the 80ed Pro.

Dave

all,

just figured i would let everyone know what i decided on...

Astro Tech 6" f/4 imaging newtonian ($299 usd)

talked to a few guys here in the States that have them and they love it and shared some of their work with me. most of them just using dslr's

dave

Archived