NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

100mm Binos

Rossco72

I have been using a friends Quantum 7.4 recently which seems to be of a similar optical spec, the views are very nice indeed. I am, however, currently building my own from a pair of Startravel 102mm F5 scopes.  :smiley:

The two OTAs have a strip of 3" aluminium channel fitted to them. These are then joined together by top and bottom plates with slotted holes, these allow collimation in the horizontal plane and can be packed to correct the vertical plane. Once set, the screws can be tightenrd forming a very rigid assembly. Interocular adjustment is achieved by using two sets of connected diagonals which can be rotated. A further erecting diagonal each side provides a terrestrial image and either 45 or 90 degree viewing position according to taste. I use the telescope optics as they are usually capable of using higher magnifications than binocular objectives. This is not a new project as I have made several similar units in the past up to 8" aperture.  :smiley:   

This is not a new project as I have made several similar units in the past up to 8" aperture.  :smiley:   

And here is a photo I took of one of Peter's impressive creations a decade or so ago... (Peter, I think you told me that you've improved a lot on this since?)

post-358-0-20082400-1399216915_thumb.jpg

I'm doing something very similar, using virtually identical techniques, with a pair of 70mm Maksutovs.

How are you going to get around the mirror-flop problem? Or do your Maks have fixed primaries?

Thanks for the photo Steve, it brings back memories. I don't know if I've improved a lot :grin: but the designs have changed little as they worked well. The one in the photo was a 6" F5 and a work in progress at the time, I had to use Newtonian diagonals to fold in the light path as star diagonals don't have enough aperture to avoid vignetting at F5. The right hand diagonal was adjustable via the two knobs on the backplate providing instant user collimation if needed. Interocular adjustment was provided by an internal system of two opposing racks and one central pinion operated by the knob on the inboard face of the rear housing. The housing was finally clad in aluminium sheet and the whole instrument refinished in white stove enamel.  :smiley:

How are you going to get around the mirror-flop problem? Or do your Maks have fixed primaries?

Fixed primaries on the ones I'm using.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived