Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astro Parts Vixen Saddle and Puck for HEQ5

SnakeyJ

Time to pimp up my HEQ5 a little, as I'm unlikely to be replacing it for a fair while yet :(

I brought a Vixen saddle plate and puck for my HEQ5 from Brian Brooks of Astroparts who I met at the IoW Star Party back at the end of January.     It's been quite an eventful few months since, hence it's taken until today to get around to fitting and I'm not quite sure now how much money parted hands - probably not good form to reveal, but Brian was very engaging, helpful and had some very nicely made mounting hardware on show.

Although he did have a dual Vixen/Losmandy system for the HEQ5 I thought this would probably be overkill and settled on the Vixen saddle plate and puck.

Here's the standard Synta puck - which looks barely up to the job in hand and has left the usual screw marks on my synta 'chocolate' vixen bar.

post-26731-0-65592200-1398631898_thumb.j

Here's the old puck removed, not how narrow the width of the clamp is and consider that it's only the two thumb screws providing tension.

post-26731-0-28227900-1398631911_thumb.j

10 mins later I had the new puck and saddle fitted and tightened up - the puck required a few gentle taps with wood block and hammer to persuade it home and the three grub screws gripped positively.

post-26731-0-78168000-1398631923_thumb.j

post-26731-0-65692300-1398631940_thumb.j

Here's the SW Explorer 200P remounted and balanced, great grip over a far greater length of dovetail bar.

post-26731-0-65728000-1398631956_thumb.j

Close up from the end - not sure the finish will quite match the ADM mounting hardware, but excellent quality and price :)

post-26731-0-98201600-1398631970_thumb.j

The only thing I miss is that the twin thumb screws on the Synta saddle provided a good centered route for the dew tape and usb cables - might have to add something to clip the cables neatly in place.

Next steps are:  

a.   minor adjustment to the dec worm carrier to try and reduce a little play.

b.   check and adjust out any cone error with Robin's new Conesharp utility.

b.   belt drive mod to reduce backlash and smooth the guide graph.

Now any recommendations on the belt drive - Rowan's 9:47 or Malc-C's 4:1 (Beltingonline kit)?   The mount is currently observatory based using EQmod.    I recall from an earlier thread that there was talk that SW might adapt future firmware for variable ratios, though I guess this would be a long way down the list of upgrades.

Has anyone tried replacing the DEC, RA and worm bearings?   Or is this unlikely to make sufficient difference?

if your interested in the belt drive mod and maybe a mount service then i can recommend this guy,

http://www.astrotecuk.co.uk/

has done a few mods and servicing for or local society and all have reported good results

Thanks Rob - took a look at this site, though there were no details on the belt mod other than saying it was the default SW ratio so probably the Rowan Astro mod or a clone.

I've already done one strip and rebuild on the mount to Mel's guide, so have no fear of undertaking this myself - I expect the return postage would add a substantial chunk to the cost.    Though thanks for the link, always useful to know of the alternatives and some useful bits available here.

think he does the strip down a re grease and set up for £90 with ups shipping included and the belt mods for £250 which includes the mount servicing again, the belt mod on the heq5 is certainly doable on your own but the neq6 does require a certain amount of striping down.

the belt mods he does have the sdame ratio as the gears on the mount also so the handset can still be used which is good.

• 1 year later...

Time to pimp up my HEQ5 a little... I brought a Vixen saddle plate and puck for my HEQ5 from

Brian Brooks of Astroparts who I met at the IoW Star Party back at the end of January. 

This is by far the best (only UK available?) solution, for an HEQ5 upgrade, I have seen.

I don't see the specific adapter advertised on his page... Did you ask specifically? ;)

Just purchased some guide scope rings from an ADM UK distributor... These are great!

But my specific object of desire - ADM Vixen style saddle for HEQ5 isn't available? :o

I believe it as a "VSAD-HEQ5" from here:   http://www.admaccessories.com/V_Series_Saddle.htm

A dual Vixen / Losmandy saddle might work, but I suspect these are the same length (7")

as Skywatcher short dovetails! I believe Vixen saddles are shorter (How long, anybody?)

I generally fit "end stops" (bolts etc.) to stop the bar sliding out under any condition.  :p

Am I missing a local and/or major dealer, before I try harder... order from USA etc.     :)

I gather (from the webpage) they carry (as with other UK stockists) the "dual" saddle.

And the AZ6 type with puck? I can of course drop them a line... Perhaps the easiest. :p

It does seem something of a specific / recurrent topic for UK HEQ5 owners though...

as an HEQ5 Pro user that has pimped the heck out of his mount i can give the following suggestions.

1. You don't have to change bearings of the mount. The movement of the mount is so small during guiding that the stock bearings don't affect it. For the record i have changed the bearings at my mount and i saw no difference.

2. Clean the factory grease and apply new lithium grease. Also remesh correct the gears

3. As for the belt mod, go for the rowan mod kit it keeps the original gear ratio so you can use the handset if you wish in the future. I have it and i am super happy about it

4. Reduce as much as you can the cone error with conesharp. It makes a huge difference at guiding. i have mine at 1 second and i will further reduce it (ran out of shims)

5. Use alignmaster to further improve your polar alignment.

6. As for the saddle and dovetail i went for the ADM dual saddle and a few months ago i upgraded the dovetail of my 8'' RC to a losmandy, it's rock solid at the mount.

7. Also i changed the power socket after reading this thread http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/172680-upgraded-power-socket-for-heq5-pro-cable-managment/?hl=%2Bpower+%2Bbox since the factory cable can get loose and have a power loss at my mount

With all these mods i have the guiding error around 1'' and if seeing is good i can go down to 0,8'' with an OAG

Many Thanks! I always feel that, with a little work, there are some

GREAT Skywatcher mounts (telescopes) just dying to get out... :p

I cannot see my finances / physical strength (lol!) extending to an

HEQ6 or greater. I have already greased / tightened a few things.

And had begun to think about some of these other possibilities.

Food for thought (and activity!) :)

I had drilled / tapped the existing puck to allow me to put an M8

screw through my dovetails. I have had a scope slide out....

(It was a MAK127, so the only casualty was a dented floor!) :D

Archived