Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which present to ask for?

RikM

Given the choice, which one of these would you choose?

Pixinsight software licence

Baader OIII & SII 1.25" NB-CCD filters

IDAS LPS D1 2" filter

I already have the matching Ha filter and the IDAS would be replacing a SkyWatcher LPR filter to sit in front of my coma corrector for LRGB imaging. I currently use Registar, Maxim DL and Photoshop CS3 for processing.

Basically, I like Ha enhanced LRGB imaging but LP is a real pain and means I need more data than I can comfortably get in this lifetime to get the image quality I would really like. Would the IDAS filter help enough to be noticable over the skywatcher? Would PI be a huge help to the processing? Should I give up on LRGB and switch to NB? 

Please help, going mad! :(

How about the OIII and the IDAS?  You can get a lot from a Oiii/Ha narrowband combination (I went to a session with Nik Szymanek where he said he's given up on sii as the time it takes isn't worth it for the marginal change in results!) and the IDAS I find works brilliantly for OSC so I assume it'll be great for RGB too :smile:

Helen

I think Helen has it right and I too am a great fan of Ha/OIII only - SII contributes very little but is required for just the Hubble palette. I have an Hb filter (actually, I have two, 12nm and 7nm) but again this wavelength is pretty weak and comes from the same regions as the Ha component although it works well on a limited set of objects like the Rosette Nebula and M27.

I'd go for the OIII and IDAS LP filter as this will give you an excellent set of imaging choices.

Archived